Miller round the world Day 9


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
October 9th 2010
Published: October 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we leave Japan for Malaysia. Up at 7:30. The routine we're now well used to: repack, breakfast, check out. We walk to the airport and endure baggage check, customs and security. It's been raining all night and it's very humid, and we are soon dripping. On the positive side, we get to bypass the lineup for security because we have our own plane. But it still takes nearly two hours before we're on board.

Five hour flight to Kota Kinbalu, Malaysia on the island of Borneo.
 
Stepping out of the plane in a downpour we are hit by the incredible humidity. We Ottawans are used to humidity but the moisture content of the air here is on a different scale. When we clear customs, we are greeted by beautiful Malaysian girls handing out bead necklaces. On the bus we meet our guide for this stop, Darren, who is completely fluent in English and quite funny to boot. 45-minute drive from the airport, through Kota Kinabalu and to our resort, which is called Rasa Ria Shangri-La. It's aptly named. As we step off the bus we are greeted by fierce warriors who perform what you might call an inspection dance as we pass. They are backed up by a 4-piece percussion ensemble playing traditional instruments. Again beautiful girls offering us cold drinks and assistance.

This is an enormous resort right on the ocean. It is a long walk to our room at one end of the complex, but it is stunning. A huge beautifully appointed air-conditioned apartment with everything you could ask for, including a private outdoor terrace equipped with a jacussi and (no kidding) an outdoor bed. Just beyond the terrace is a gorgeous pool. In short, this is a luxury resort like none I have ever visited before.
 
Buffet dinner outside back at the main building. Unsurprisingly, it is fantastic, offering a mouth-watering mix of North American, Japanese and traditional Malaysian fare. A trio of guitarists strum in the background.
We retire to our room fairly early and catch up on email and this blog.

Advertisement



9th October 2010

Enjoying the trip with you!!!!
Hi Violet & David: Your trip sounds so spectacular...each place more wonderful that the last. I'm right there with you as I have a rather vivid imagination - because your writings so descriptive, colourful and enjoyable, David. I'm with you both to the end......... Cheers, Gail

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb