Eagles, tea and hornbills


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Perak » Pangkor Island
April 28th 2012
Published: April 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left luscious Langkawi, the Ibiza of Asia and headed for Georgetown,; food capital of the World staying in the Red Inn Court where the top bunk was so high that both of us were too scared to sleep up there! And then onto Tanah Rata, the tourist town of Cameron Highlands- home of the Scottish tea plantations. A very strange place, it is like Last of the Summer Wine for Indians, all driving Land Rovers of every age and description. I can’t tell you how much we enjoyed the Cameron Highlands, yes the tea plantations are beautiful, the factory visit a must do, the treck to the Mossy Forest divine, but it is the weather. A constant climate between 15 and 20 means no air con and you can actually sleep in the bed clothes (I know, so British). We stayed in a guesthouse owned by the charming 'Smith'- his local name as his Indian name is too long! The trip to the tea plantations and factory was just ace, actually seeing tea plants grown like cabbages, harvested like we cut hedges, the intense aroma that fills the factory air and finished with a stunning pot of Palas Supreme BOH tea- yes of course made in a pot. Brew for 3 minutes, no milk, no sugar, enjoy with Scottish shortbread overlooking a valley of tea plants.

Then we caught the 8am to Ipoh to connect with a bus to Lumut for the ferry to Pangkor. One small problem, the buses did not connect very well, arriving in Ipoh at 10am to be told the next bus was at 12.30, put on the bus with no driver til 1.30 and then finally leaving at 2.30pm. I shall never, ever, criticise British transport ever again! Pangkor is a small island not far from the mainland with a cluster of bays that pass for resorts in these parts with food provided by Daddy.

The good news is we have managed to survive the bxxxxxx leeches, not fell of the jet skis and finally managed to get some snorkeling in. Current location? Currently swinging in a hammock off the east coast of Malaysia, (slightly craving for a cheese sandwich).


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb