Georgetown: Food, temples, food, food


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
August 13th 2007
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BreakfastBreakfastBreakfast

We are totally loving the breakfasts here... Indian bread and a lovely dhall to dip into... yum.
Still in Pen-town. Loving it.
We had to stay here a tad longer than we had anticipated because I was waiting to see a doctor. I thought that I might have cancer-tuberculosis-japanese-yellow-fever-tendonitis-athletles-foot desease (the tropical version of course).
It turns out that I don't have anything and I'm actually quite healthy.
To make do while waiting for this doctor, Jenny and I did what we know best.
EAT.
The only thing any sensible and logical human being, equipped with a mouth and a digestive system, would do when surrounded with such an abundance of insanely amazing food.
Georgetown is food mecca.
Every foodie on earth has to make the pilgrimage here at least once in their life.
The cuisine of Georgetown reflects its multicultural heritage: Curries from the Indian population, Pork rib soups from the Chinese minority and Laksa from local Malaysians can all be found in abundance on the streets of Penang. There are literaly thousands of Hawkers/food stalls to be found on the streets of this colonial city, serving as many dishes.

During our stay here we concentrated our eating efforts to 3 types of eating establishments:

1st one. The indian buffet extavaganza. These are everywhere. There
High TeaHigh TeaHigh Tea

An afternoon fit for a king, and Guillaume pulls it off well.
are 100 choices on the menu plus 100 more buffet style. If you can't find something here that you like, well you better just stay at home. Here the food is spicy, hot, oily, buttery, delicious and highly vegetarian. The waiters here are almost exclusively sweaty-mustache wearing bangladeshies. Friendliness prevails. The juice selection is exquisite. This is where Jenny and I discovered a life transforming juice. Starfruit juice.

Second type of eatery that we graced our presence in is the chinese food centre. Here you'd better like meat because they'll kung fu you back to the countryside if you dare mention vegetables. The service here is non existent and the atmosphere is tense but the meaty salty noodle soups are serious business. As a rule of thumb here, the nastier something sounds the tastier it is. Jen had fish-rice porridge and she thought it was heaven.

Last but not least, the mega, gigantic jurassic outdoor food court. Here you can find anything Asian. Its like a normal food court that we have at home...but with GOOD food.
Chinese duck, sushi, pork soups, chicken wings, laksa, satays, bbq fish, shelfish, biriyani...etc.
The way these places work is you go
Sipping, sippingSipping, sippingSipping, sipping

I stopped counting after the fourth cup...
around each stall, sniff out what they have until youve found a winner. Once you've placed your order you point to the the cook/waiter where you are sitting down so he can bring it to you once he has cooked it. When you are seated at your table a drink man come around and asks you what you want. "Drink" in Malay/Indonesian is "minuman". So Jenny and I call him the "Minuman Man". Highly hilarious stuff.
These food courts easily hold a few hundred people and they are jam packed. Opening hours are from 11pm to god knows when. In the middle of it all you have a zaney, highly energetic one man karaoke show. Playing strange versions of American country music. Line dancing is thoroughly encouraged but amateurs should abstaine-The skill level of the dancers is extremely high.

I should also make a special mention to another type of eating establishment that we visited during our stay. The ultra luxurious colonial hotel, The E & O Hotel. Jenny dragged me to this thing called High Tea, where tea (duh!) scones, cakes and sandwiches are served for a pretty penny during the afternoon. It is served at this time
Cheesecake?Cheesecake?Cheesecake?

In Malaysia? Yes, and it was amazing.
of day (around 2pm) to alleviate that "sinking feeling" that one feels in the middle of the afternoon. It was a very enjoyable experience that we both thoroughly enjoyed.

So, all in all Gerogetown has been a blast. Lots of other funny stuff happened during our stay here, but I'm just too tired digesting food right now to write anything else.

Next up big bad Sumatra.




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

TeaTea
Tea

That what it is.
Love laneLove lane
Love lane

The street where we currently reside...along with about two dozen indian and asian trannie prostitutes.
Red Garden Food CourtRed Garden Food Court
Red Garden Food Court

Guillaume chowing down on some famous local noddles dish that i cannot remember the name of right now.
Red Garden Food Court: Round 2Red Garden Food Court: Round 2
Red Garden Food Court: Round 2

Wrapping up the meal with a squid on a stick..nice choice, Guillaume.
Red Garden Food Court...so many choices!Red Garden Food Court...so many choices!
Red Garden Food Court...so many choices!

With about thiry different food stalls AND live entertainment.... what else could you want?
Mahamariamman TempleMahamariamman Temple
Mahamariamman Temple

In the heart of Little India..first stop on our "TEMPLE & MOSQUE..MAYHEM DAY!!"
Guillaume...Guillaume...
Guillaume...

enlightened?
Looking outLooking out
Looking out

from the Teow Chew temple
Attitiude Strikes, againAttitiude Strikes, again
Attitiude Strikes, again

this time at the Teow Chew temple
Guillaume...Guillaume...
Guillaume...

enlightened?
Next StopNext Stop
Next Stop

Kapitan Keling mosque
Nice lookNice look
Nice look

Following the mosque visitor rules, we covered up in robes and me in a headscarf.
andand
and

wearing it well, i might add.
Another TempleAnother Temple
Another Temple

Yap Kongsi Temple
Uhh?Uhh?
Uhh?

Whats up with that sign?
Piles of AshesPiles of Ashes
Piles of Ashes

from the hundreds of burning sticks of incense.


27th August 2007

great times!
looks like you're checking out some pretty amazing stuff, when you're not eating, that is...ha ha
27th August 2007

La nouriture, toujours la nourriture!
La on vous reconnait quand il est question de nourriture. Ca nous donne l'eau a la bouche! Vous vivez des experiences gastronomiques incroyables... and you look so great surrounded by all those magnificent temples! You're so lucky and we're so happy for you. Enjoy!
28th August 2007

Hey guys....looks like you're having a great time....and the food is welll.....interesting I must say......It sounds great!!!! I love the blogs and hope you both keep them coming.
8th June 2011
Piles of Ashes

H Miracle Review
With excellent description in you articles, I want to thanks for your blog providing a large amount of knowledge and enlightenment..H Miracle Review

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb