Penang to Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
January 12th 2007
Published: January 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We didn’t wake up early today. Afterall, our room rate doesn’t come with the breakfast. Instead, breakfast was at this local coffee shop opposite the hotel. I remembered that my sis and I had the same food 2 years back. Food tasted great at modest prices.

After grabbing a couple of boxes of tau sa piah at the market, it was time to say goodbye to GeorgeTown, to hit the North South Highway again back to Kuala Lumpur. On our way, we stopped by Penang’s Esplanade to take in the sights of Fort Cornwallis and the Clock Tower before embarking on the ferry to cross over to mainland Malaysia (Chin Yoong’s car included). If there’s one minor regret for me, it must be missing Penang Hill for the 2nd time. On a brighter note, grateful that we were able to take in as many sights in Penang within a very short time frame.

Back at CY’s house in the evening, we took a brief break before hitting the roads first to Nillai for a change of vehicle and then to Ampang for his Uncle and Auntie’s dinner. Thank you for the hospitality. It was nearly 10.15pm by the time we are at KLCC for the fireworks. The new year countdown was cancelled.

Amidst a sea of people, mostly foreign workers, Adeline, Rachel, CY and I had found ourselves a perfect spot to watch the fireworks when fighting took place not once but twice. It was an eye opening experience for all of us and we had to abandon our spot, away from the troubled areas.

12am - Happy New Year 2007 - the fireworks come alive at KLCC. Awesome, despite the earlier scare. Closed to 1am - we reached the Ascott. After a drink, I was half conscious when we stopped for supper at this Chinese hawker centre along with Chin Yoong’s friends from KL. For this brief encounter, I found them to be friendly and chatty. Btw, apologies to Mr Lee for making a relatively ignorant remark that evening.

Given the sheer size of the country, a car is a necessity, not a luxury. And the toll and fuel charges really add up to our expenditure. Btw, unlike our local ERP, the toll charges are levied 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Folks back home pls don't complain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 76; dbt: 0.2519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb