Day 7 - Penang / Georgetown

Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
October 23rd 2015
Published: April 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We had a bit of a sleep in today; got up and headed down for breakfast about 10:00am. I’d said to Bec that on this trip I’d (at least once) try noodles for breakfast. So I did, it was weird. I also had eggs and beans on toast.
We were ready to leave so we headed out the front of the hotel to the public bus #101 at around 11:30am. We’d decided to go local today instead of the hop on/hop off as it didn’t really matter if we got lost and it was heaps cheaper, only 2.70MR to get all the way to Georgetown. We wanted to go all the way to the Jettys area to find two of the main street arts we missed on the previous day. The bus took just over an hour which didn't really faze us as it was really overcast today.
We got off just before the jetty stop only because we figured it would be safer to walk then be on the bus (the bus driver was a tad crazy). Alas, as soon as we got off, there was the laneway we wanted that had the swing set street art in it, and the basketball one right opposite it.
We took our obligatory photos with both, with some direction from the cafe owner of the best place to stand.
From there we walked down the jetty and got some bargain souvenirs,. We then walked back to the street we got off the bus in, to get back on it, to head back toward the plaza we drove past. We came across another plaza as well right next door to the Guerney Plaza which was much better. By this time it was already after 3:15pm so we decided to get some lunch. We found a place called Food Hall which had a combined area. You could choose from Quiznos, Johnny rockets, South East Asia and a couple of other places. I got a giant bowl of Pho, but it was very different to what I’m used to - they used a very odd noodle in it. After lunch and a bit more of a walk around, we jumped back on the bus to the hotel.
We decided to take some time to hit the gym again, setting up our own workout routine based on some superhero workouts they had on the walls in the gym. After that we went back to the room, showered and decided to go for a walk to suss out some dinner. Though being that we had lunch pretty late we weren’t really hungry, so decided to head back to The Wooden Bar again for a couple of drinks first. Again the place was pretty quiet but while we were sitting there another Aussie women came in and had a drink with us. Her name was Andi and as it turned out she is actually originally from Camberwell but now lives in Johor.
After our drinks, we still weren’t hungry yet so decided to go and get a full body massage at our new favourite massage place. They were lovely people and the massages were so cheap.
From there we walked up the other end of Batu Ferringhi. At one point it started spitting, then raining, then absolutely bucketing. We had wondered why on the walk up, the store holders were packing up their street stalls.
Because it was raining so heavily, we ended up having dinner at a place called The Ferringhi Garden. I got another fantastic dish of char kuay teow.
Eventually it started to ease off slightly so we decided to just suck it up and leave. The lovely people at the restaurant offered Bec and I free ponchos but we politely declined, advising we were only heading back to the hotel anyway. We quickly regretted this decision as within 5mtrs from restaurant it started bucketing again. We weren’t overly fussed but I took off my sandals (as I was slipping all over the place from water mixed with massage oil) and ran through the street of Batu Ferringhi shoeless. By the time we got back to the hotel we were completely drenched, but it was fine as it was still hot. We got back to our room, dried off, half packed our bags and got to bed just after midnight.

Total Steps: 19,876
Total KMs: 15.38


Tot: 2.668s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0363s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb