Day 6 - Penang / Georgetown

Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
October 22nd 2015
Published: April 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We were woken at the ridiculous hour of 5:50am by chanting on a loudspeaker coming from the mosque down the road. Just as I was about to get back to sleep it started again at 6:20am.
Eventually it stopped and we managed to get a little more sleep.
We got up, got ready and headed across the road to get our included breakfast. I got baked beans on toast and a bowl of fruit to kick start the day. The buffet breakfast had an amazing spread though, which I would take advantage of tomorrow.
From there we jumped on the hop-on/hop-off bus that stopped outside our hotel and headed in the direction of Georgetown.
The trip down from Batu Ferringhi was about forty minutes and we got off at stop 9. We had a map and a map of where the street art was but we hadn't marked any of it out. We then realised we didn't have a pen to do this so made our way to the closest shopping centre to buy one. We managed a highlighter which did the job well.
We spent 10mins marking the map out then had to work out where we were on the map, and we were set.
We set off on the 'Street Art Adventure' at 12:53pm. We wound in and out of all the gorgeous little streets of Georgetown taking photos. It was fun and exciting but then after 2 hours in the 34 degree heat and more than 80% humidity, we started to struggle and I called for a time out on the walking. We smashed out a bottle of a coke and a bottle of water for only 1MR each and I started to feel a little better, but it was still roasting. We continued on but eventually it got the better of me and after 3.5hours of walking around Georgetown I called it quits. Clearly, this is something that needs to be done later in the day when it’s even more overcast and not as hot. We walked back to stop 9 to catch the bus back to our hotel.
We arrived back, got changed into our togs and headed for the pool just after 5:00pm. By this time it was so hazy you couldn't even see where the sun was supposed to be in the sky.
We had a few drinks and then went back to the room, got changed and headed down the road for some dinner. Dinner tonight was at a place called BBQ Nights By the Beach. I ordered some Indian BBQ chicken tikka and rice and for a drink ordered a real coconut. From there we just slowly wandered back to the hotel for some sleep.

Total Steps: 27,212
Total kms: 21.01


Tot: 3.135s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0355s; 3; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb