thurs day 41


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
March 1st 2015
Published: March 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

After starting with the usual for breakfast plus fresh fruit and toast - the tea bags also being supplied from the plantation I visited a few days ago, I headed off to explore the island. Passing through china town but not feeling the urge to visit any more temples, after visiting a few they all seem quite similar, but instead stopping off at a market to buy some sandals. I walked past the main fountain - which is in the middle of a roundabout and past fort cornwallis - which marks the spot of where the British fleet under captain Francis light disembarked in 1786. Grabbing a well needed drink - its very hot and sticky on the island after feeling the cooler evening air of the highlands and made my way to the bus station. After 20 minutes of trying to work out the logic of the bus station and realising that there really doesn't seem to be one I worked out that if you see the bus you're after - well, just run after it and see if the driver will let you on! This seemed to work, so 45 minutes later I arrived at the bottom of the tallest hill in Penang. Catching the vehicular train to the peak and looking out over the hazy - but lovely view I had some lunch and visited a Hindu temple - also sitting on the top of the hill. While waiting for the return train I bumped into a traveller I had seen in the Cameron highlands - we got chatting and decided to go and visit a Chinese temple!! I have really seen enough, but the company was nice - and this temple being different from the others by having a large pond in the centre containing many turtles - some being 50cm across. Some of the Buddha's also with swastikas on their chests - which felt slightly unusual to see because of what it symbolises. Walking through a heaving market - which completely comes alive in the evening and catching the bus back into town we said our goodbyes and wished each other safe travels. Back at the hostel recovering from many mosquito bites I had a itchy but relaxing evening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb