Reclining Seats and Hawker Stands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
May 30th 2006
Published: May 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Journey
As this is being written (but of couse not typed!) I'm sitting on a coach from KL to Butterworth, and from there Penang Island and colonial Georgetown. The scenery has been varied - initially flat and dull around KL but since then we have passed through stunning jungle valleys and hills, all accentuated by rugged rocky cliffs.

Busses, beautiful busses
On the surface Malaysian busses seem to be superb. Large amounts of legroom, comfy reclining seats and not overly aggresive air conditioning that makes your eyelids freeze open. But this is only on the surface. When you have been on a 6 hour journey where the man infront of you reclines his seat back so far that your knees are forced sideways and you can count the fleas on his head they aren't so great. And then when he decides to put his hands above his head so they dangle in your lap they are even worse. My word of advice... never be behind a reclining seat!

Asain Fast Food Ingenuity
In the UK fast food packaging is very much suited for a purpose. A box or cup of the desired size made of polystyrene, paper or card. Sauces in pre packed pots. You know the deal. But in Asia it seems much more ingenuity is shown. Greaseproof paper is folded to make neat parcels of Nasi Lemak. Sauces are fresh and provided in a strategically tied plastic bag. In some cases the wrapping is entirely natural - banana leaves for example. Even drinks are served up in such a way. No cups, but plastic bags with a cleverly located straw and a well placed loop of string for carrying. Hot drinks and cold! Even a bag of fruit is held closed with a cocktail stick perfect for keeping your fingers clean!

Exchange of addresses
Travelling you meet a lot of people: locals, fellow travellers, and some people who are just 'random'. When do you decide to exchange contact details? Some are obvious... you get on, you will realistically keep in touch. Others are for a rainy day - business contacts, people with houses in nice places etc. And others are forced. People ask you first. And other times you never do, for better or for worse. Perhaps you are missing out on a lifelong friend, or perhaps you are just avoiding the annoying guy who thinks that because you are civil enough to talk to him you want to be his pal.

Georgetown
I finally alighted from the bus, and took the ferry across to Penang Island and the city of Georgetown. After finding a hotel I set of for a walk. In Tokyo a few months ago my guidebook would be in my pocket, but now it lives largely in my rucksack. I like to just wander and see what I find. Near where I live is mainly catered to those people who travel to meet travellers - a lot of banana pancakes, book exchanges and pizzas. A bit further afield though and I came across the grand E&O hotel, from behing which I watched the sun set before heading south where at a hawker stall I tried 'Penang Laksa', a fiery fish and noodle soup washed down with an Ice cold beer.

Hawkers
I love the 'Hawker' centre way of eating. Rather than one restauarant with 20 dishes you can eat at 20 restaurants all specialising in one dish. You can get your meal from one stall, your drink from an other while those you dine with can eat from different stalls altogether. And its all very cheap, and very tasty!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb