Crossing the border


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
July 2nd 2007
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello again, we have been up to so much since the last blog its getting to the point where we cant be bothered doing them but we will so we can be reminded of everything when we get back home and of course so you guys can read what we have been getting up to.

On the night of the last blog we had arrived in Krabi and decided to go for a drink in a bar and play pool. We found this little place where the locals play winner stays on and you put your name on the board if you want to have a try. Laurie had a few games with them then i had a game and won! As over here if you pot the black you have to say which pocket it will go in or else you lose, and the guy potted it into the wrong hole so we were on the table for most of the night then. An american couple were playing against us who were really nice and then a couple who were from canada and russia who knew the americans also joined us. That night we were all drinking the sangsom buckets which is whiskey and coke in a bucket with lots of straws so everyone can share. We had a good night just chatting and playing pool then went back to the americans apartment for more drinks.

The next day we had terrible hangovers so we just relaxed all day, rented a dvd player and bought some films and only left the apartment to eat. Very lazy but we are on holiday after all!! And it was sunday the day of rest!

On monday morning we got up nice and early and headed to the beachfront for a thai massage. It felt strange but good and they actually move your body into funny positions to get rid of any blockages, so that your chi can flow freely(or something like that). It was a bargain at 3 quid an hour.

After that we headed up to the hills to attend a thai cookery course, the kitchen was outdoors and surrounded by mountains. We selected 5 dishes to make, then started preparing all of our vegetables and herbs and spices. So we can now both make tom yam seafood soup, phad tai, vegetables in oyster sauce. green curry and penang curry. It was really easy though dont know if they will have all the ingredients in england that we would need.

We booked to go white water rafting on the tuesday but when we woke up it was raining and we both had a terrible sleep on monday night so we decided to change it to wednesday. We had a walk around and then the lazy buggars that we are rented the dvd again!! When its raining at a beach resort there is really nothing else to do.

Wednesday was fantastic!!! We started the day by travelling 2 hours to get to the National park which was close to phang-nga to do white water rafting. After getting suited and booted with helmets and life jackets we were taught a few basic health and safety rules, then we hopped on the raft, 6 of us including the 2 instructers. It was brilliant, i thought that as it was an excursion it would be quite tame and that you wouldnt really get that wet or anything but we were soaked through! We had been crashed into rocks, smacked in the face with tree braches, fell into the middle of the raft a few times and gone down some pretty steep rapids. We loved it that much that we paid extra to go further down the river onto level 4 as it was only level 2 that was included. Afterwards we had a really nice thai lunch then headed off to elephant camp for some trekking. When we arrived we got on our elephant and went for a slow walk around the camp, i cannot remember her name but she was 45 years old and we felt sorry for her. It wasnt that she was mistreated but we got the impression that she couldnt be arsed, after probably doing it all day long so we decided we wont be doing anymore animal trekking or shows. There was also a crocodile there and a few monkeys there which were not so well looked after, with chains round the monkeys neck as they are trained to fetch coconuts from trees and may run off. Really quite sad!! There was one exception, a little gibbon only six months old was playing about freely on the roof of the bar area. He was really cute, hopefully he won't be dragged into the cocunut fetching game as well.

After that it was quad biking which was a laugh but mine sounded like it was going to blow up if i went faster and it was vibrating like mad. Laurie really liked it and was skidding about and speeding!!

That night we went for a few drinks and there was these 2 old guys playing pool, they were both in their seventies and were taking absolutley ages to finish 1 game. Me and laurie were itching for a game so we asked if we could play doubles and then the pensioners pool started. They were swiss and called edwin and rudy, really nice old chaps and so funny. They were dithering over each shot and bickering with other, me and laurie were in stitches. Then this other oap came over and wanted a game, he was called mario, and oh my god did he take it seriously! He was pouring talc everywhere so his sweaty palms would not affect his game and everytime someone potted he would bang his hands on the table, it was hilarious(who thought oldies could be so much fun).

On thusrday we went to Krabi bus station which was hell as it was boiling hot and we were a little hungover from the previous night. After about a 2 hour wait our bus to Satun arrived and it took us a further 2 hours on the bus just to cool down. It was a 5 hour journey i slept through most of it and laurie had his head in his book. Satun is nothing special we just used it as a stop off as we needed to get the boat from there to Langkawi. I t was a little town and as we arrived late at night we did not really see much of it.

Friday morning we went to Tammalang Harbour and crossed the border to Langkawi in Malaysia. We stayed there for 2 nights and really liked it. Friday was spent exploring the resort and just relaxing. We had some really nice Malay food at a little outdoors bbq place, prawns in tamarind, fried rice with salt fish and this really nice spicy spinach. After that we headed to the beach bar for a few drinks and had an early night.

We hired a car the next day, a perouda, very small and compact and a great deal for 8 pound for 24 hours. Only laurie brought his licence so he was the driver and he loved cruising around, i was navigator (luckily the roads are very good and the island is easy to get around).
We took a drive to a park that had cable cars which take you to the top of an 800 metre mountain. I cannot remember the name but we had a lovely view and could also see the waterfalls from the seven wells. It was so high up and quite scary in our wobbly car but worth it. When you get to the top you can walk across a bridge and you can see the valleys underneath you. You also get an excellent view of the coastline.

After that we went for some lunch on the harbour and found a greek tapas place, we feasted on olives, tzatziki and pitta, meatballs, sausages and feta, which was a nice change from curry and rice.

We drove a little further and found a small deserted beach, so we sunbathed for a few hours sharing 1 towel as laurie forgot his, and had a dip in the sea. When we got back to our hotel we dived in the pool for a bit thinking it would cool us down but it was like a bath!!! Nightmare! We decided to seek refuge in our room with the air con on full blast and within minites we were freezing.

That night we drove to a lookout point that took about an hour or so to reach. It was about 840 metres above sea level and we did not think the car would make it up the hills but we got there in the end. On the way we saw loads of monkeys sitting around observing us and dashing off when the car slowed to a stop. So cute. The lookout point was very impressive and we made it for sunset although it was a little cloudy because we were so high.

On the way back we drove through Kuah which was the next town along from us, we were at pentai cenang. There was a night market in full flow so we decided to stop and have a nosey. Mostly food on offer although laurie did get a nice t-shirt. We stayed there for an hour or so then took the car back and had an early night.

On sunday we stayed by the hotel pool till about three and had some dinner, then we headed to the jetty pier to get another ferry to penang. We got here late last night and after finding a hotel, we had a look around and played yet more pool with the locals in a bar ( do you sense a pattern emerging). We rolled into bed at around 2am this morning and got up at 12.30 pm this afternoon. Today we have been sightseeing, firstly we went to see penangs town hall and city hall mmm nothing exciting but we did go to the museam which was interesting. It focused on Penangs culture, traditional dress, vehicles used and how the island is now cosmopolitan due to all the different settlers. It is very multi-cultral consisting mostly of thai, malay and indian but due to the mix race marriges there are far more races here and its hard to tell who is actually malay.

Considering we are so close to thailand, malaysia is completely different. Its cleaner, not that touristy and you dont get hassled. Langkawi's population was mostly muslim
Sunset across the valleysSunset across the valleysSunset across the valleys

Look out point, Langkawi
so you could not drink alcohol in restaraunts but you can here in panang.

Tommorow we are not sure where were going but we are making our way across to perhentian islands so may stop over somewhere first if we like the look of it.

We will be in touch again soon
all our lovexxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Monday morning at templeMonday morning at temple
Monday morning at temple

Georgetown, Penang
St Georges ChurchSt Georges Church
St Georges Church

Georgetown, Penang
Old Protestant CemetaryOld Protestant Cemetary
Old Protestant Cemetary

Georgetown, Penang


4th July 2007

sooooo jealouuuuuuuuusssssssss
Hi you two, been following yor conquests from the start - am a really deep green colour now! your photos are brill and i have pinched a couple for my album. Carry on enjoying yourselves and keeping me amused love carolyne xxx
7th July 2007

Monsoon season in Leeds
Hi you two. At the moment it feels like all of us in Leeds are sharing your experiences of monsoons and thunderstorms but without the bonus of having beautiful beaches, stunning scenery and wild adventures! Well, my birthday party was a bit wild and soggy, but that's another story!! Keep having fun and look forward to your next adventures. Missing you lots now. Love Mum x x
12th July 2007

bestseller
hi again.just read all your blogs.looks absolutely brilliant.anyway downloaded em all an just been offered a publishing deal with ken bates.entitled casper n helens asian adventures.might give u a few grand in royalties to finance your south american enterprise ?? luv casp n h. xx
13th July 2007

We all love Leeds, we all love Leeds...
Come on geezers, don't you dare get bored of bloggin..... Keep em' coming, get yer arses in the internet cafe and radiate the inspiration!!! (or get yersens in the nearest bar and get rat arsed? Whichever comes first)

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb