Last day in Penang


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » Butterworth
December 23rd 2009
Published: January 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


A late start again and we were in no hurry to rush out into the streets again. We had to re-pack our back packs and that takes around ½ hour just to organise what you need to get you through the night train. It made was made worse by the room being so small and we really couldn’t spread things out.
Off to Kapitan’s for breaky at 11:30 and we had some prathra bread and curry dipping sauce. A quick bus trip to the ferry jetty and back to Butterworth train station only 100m from the jetty. The tickets for second class from Butterworth to Bangkok only cost us 104 ringits each around $30 Aus. They had an old retired steam locomotive parked out the side that I was more than happy to climb in, over and through, they are impressive pieces of machinery. We got on the train at 2:30 with confusion again as the train was only 2 carriages long. The trip to Bangkok would be a little rougher as we only had second class tickets. The train was clean but we were sitting apart from each other, we managed to swap seats with a local that made both of us feel better. The country side was great and it changed from Palm oil trees to rice fields and there was also some massive lime stone mountains just sticking out of the rice paddies similar to Tam kok in Vietnam. We reached the border just on dark and passed through immigration. With the poor selection of food I had picked from a small market for our train ride I thought we might go hungry until they handed us a menu. So I’m writing this on the train in Thailand now and we are getting ready to tackle dinner. We both had a chicken and cashew with rice with Thai green curry and red chicken curry, it was nothing to write home about but it was only train food and it was better than I expected. I only had 500baht and spent 400 on dinner, so we will be arriving in Bangkok with only 100 baht in the wallet or $3 Aus.
We weren’t sure how the beds work, and a little man started to works his way down the carriage to fold down the top bunks and make up the bottom bed. The bottom beds have allot more room than the top plus you still have the window to look out. Jacinta and I had the top bunks, I think that’s second class and the bottom is first class. The beds made and it’s time to sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb