jerantut lovely friendly town


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Kuala Tahan
October 9th 2007
Published: October 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

well we caught the jungle train before the mezuin even got going and that is before the chooks crow so you know how early that was and terry who doesnt do early did a wonderful job. the train was freezing at first so we were hauling out our warm gear, socks, jumpers, and an airline blanket that terry has to keep warm. what a great way to see the jungle scenery and rivers. trains are magcial you sit back and it all goes past your window. we only had one bread roll with us which was a bit of a mistake. as its ramadan no one is selling food on the trains as there is no one to buy it. so remember if you are travelling at this time keep some snacks handy for the long train or bus rides.
everything was in place when we arrived at jerantut. there was a tout at the station who took us to his shop where they were very jacked we got some take aways (they have a restaurant, hostle internet cafe and of course travel centre.) we bought our licences for the jungle park, the bus left and took us to the ferry for the 3 hour boat ride to kuala tahan. lovely ride even though it was a bit hard on the arse no matter how much internal padding you have!!!! we saw monkeys, water buff, fisher folk a very pleasant afternoon. then as luck would have it we got the last chalet at the place we wanted to stay. other folk were not so lucky and i must say the accommodation there sucks except for the resort in the park which for 280 ringit would have been well worth the money spent as a trip highlight - well if we had not been lucky i might have insisted!!! the next morning we went on a jungle hike. you take the ferry boat accross the river and into the resort and we did the canopy walk. now a lot of people are not going to believe that i did this and i cannot believe that i did either but i do have the pics (which i will have to send to you later as i dont have them with me) to prove it. i must say i did a lot of tree hugging at the stops between the walks on the platforms 45 metres up and that is only halfway up the tree so you can imagine how tall that tree is!!! terry says his ladder at work is 32 metres and thats equivalent to 11 stories so you can work that one out for yourselves. i have never been so happy to reach terra firma and next time i might try climbing the mountain option!!! but i never have to do this again do i???
we were going to spend another night there and leave early in themorning but we made the decision that we had seen everything we wanted (jsut how much more jungle can you see) and the biting things were too much for me so we came back to town and it was great.
this morning after fighting with the hot water we managed a shower and took to the streets to see how to get to the train station for our 2 am departure tonight. just around the corner we saw a busy restaurant and made our way there for breakfast and guess what they were making dim sum!!!! how lucky were we - steamed pork pau, many varieties of dim sum - egg plant stuffed with fish, quails eggs, fresh prawns it was all good i can assure you. the owner spoke good english and he told us he starts at 3 am every day except saturday and sunday when its 2.30am to be ready for his breakfast run. he closes again at 11 am. what a lovely family his mum had the tea shop next door and it was full of friendly chinese families lots of kids and i made friends with one or two.
so after that we walked around town had a look at the market and now here catching up on the outside world. so until singapore folks this is me signing out and drinking my honey lime juice to cool off.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb