Our first day, Genting Highlands.

Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Genting Highlands
March 25th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 3.38457, 101.772

We're here - at last. Our plane trip was average, hit turbulence quite a few times. The seats were very comfortable with good pitch. The food was horrible, I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, they were soggy and disgusting so I just had the yoghurt and fruit. I have no idea about supper, I fell asleep and mum didn't wake me. I think she said it was a bagel and muesli bar. I was asleep for most of the flight, although there was a really annoying kid in the chair behind me kicking it non-stop.

We arrived in Kuala Lumpur at 5.30 in the morning (half an hour earlier than expected) and it was 27 degrees outside! We got off the plane and got our luggage straight away- a first for us. Then got onto the aerorail connecting the Satellite building to the main building and from there easily found our train. It was still dark outside so we couldn't see anything which was really annoying. We then went and booked our tickets for the Genting bus and were told that we'd have to wait three hours to get on the bus. It mightn't be that long but in the sweltering heat it was going to take forever. We thought we might have been able to get on the eight o'clock bus but it was full so we had to wait (we weren't the only ones) after probably twenty minutes of waiting we decided to just go and get a taxi. Another man going to Genting from Saudi Arabia came with us in the taxi. He was quite friendly and very talkative. The taxi drive up was really really nice. The sides of the roads all had beautiful gardens and hedges. There were heaps of motor-bike riders wearing jackets backwards, our taxi driver said this was to stop them from getting burnt on the arms. Once we had just entered Genting and was going up the hill we saw a lot of ambulances and bags of something lying across the road. A truck had flipped and the driver was still trapped inside when we drove past. We stopped a couple of times for photos with the fog on the mountain and then at a chocolate shop. The taxi driver insisted, he got money out of this one.

We got dropped off at the sky-rail towers and farewelled the taxi driver, but of course with this we got his card and a long speech from him. The building was massive I was just expecting a cheap-looking place that would just have the sky-rail. I was very, very wrong. It was really modern and full of shops. The sky-rail was amazing, I've never seen anything like it. It's just over 3.4km long and takes about half an hour. It was directly above a forest and the trees were so green and beautiful.

From there we walked from the sky-rail to our hotel. Genting highlands is owned by one company and there's about six hotels here. They're all connected by walk-ways, malls, or something. It took ages to walk to our hotel, we went down over 10 (we didn't count) travelators, and got lost quite a few times.

Once we found the hotel, we did the first part of the check-in, where you get your number that you need to actually check-in and was told to come back at 12 noon. Two or so hours away. There was a spot to put your bags so we did then went walking around the mall. We looked in heaps of shops, checked out "Snow World" and saw all the rides. At around 12 we went back to the hotel and sat round waiting for our number to come up on the board. There's board which have the numbers on it and then the counter you need to go to, but the problem is there's only eight numbers at at time and over 6000 rooms! Our room is really nice and big. Our showers massive, it takes up half the bathroom. My only complaint about the room so far is that the beds are hard.

Mum and I both had a sleep when we got here. We then walked round a bit more and went to the Ripley believe it or not thing. It was really good. There was a collection of ties, 1 for every day for 30 years, there were those mirrors that make you look fat, of short etc. There was videos, statues, the shoes, clothes and shoes of the worlds tallest man, toothpick statues, optical illusions and my favourite a bridge with a rotating cylinder around it. Yes, these are everywhere but I've never see one as good as this. It was so good I physically couldn't walk for ages. Its been like two hours since then and my heads still spinning.

I can't believe it's only been 24 hours and twenty-three minutes since we left home. It feels like a couple of days! Tomorrows going to be the rides day. But I'm going to bed now.


This hotel is at a busy resort so you would think it would be easy to catch public transport there! We got to KL Sentral at 7.30am. I bought tickets for the bus – the first bus available wasn't until 10.30am. We ended up sharing a taxi with someone else. After an overnight flight, we just wanted to get to the hotel!!

The taxi took us to the sky-rail station. More fun. You have to get into a moving gondola. Sounds easy!! But when you have a handbag, a backpack, a small and a large suitcase and a very tired teenager it IS NOT easy!!! After a lot of effort, we managed to get ourselves into the gondola. After a very peaceful ride, we then had the fun of getting off at the other end. No one offered help with the heavy suitcase!! But at least we made it.

We then had to walk to the hotel. And walk and walk and walk........ The first world hotel is at the other end of the resort from the sky-rail and, after many escalators, we made it to the hotel.

It is/was the largest hotel in the world, and with 6500ish rooms I guess you have to expect a wait! We got there about 10.30am and was issued a number and told to come back in two hours. We were able to leave our bags at the hotel and so went for a walk around the place. After two hours we made our way back to the hotel and had to wait about 15 minutes for our number to be displayed. After that, book-in was reasonably easy.

We had asked to get a room in Tower 1. The room was so big! I have read a lot about how small the rooms are at this hotel so I'm assuming that Tower 2 has those rooms. We had heaps of room to spread out and had a great view of the outdoor theme park.

For such a busy resort, with thousands coming and going each day, I expected better transport arrangements.

Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 26


27th May 2010

u look so georgeous gal....

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0076s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb