Let the backpacking begin


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
May 5th 2011
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Malaysian flag. The worlds tallest flagpole in the background
Jan’s deep thoughts: We have managed to get used to the time difference and the weather by now. The weather especially was a bit of a challenge. The heat, mixed with humidity turned me into a sweaty mess every time I went out. It only took the 5 minute to the station and I was soaked. Entering a fully air-conditioned train didn’t help much either. And to top it all off, every evening it started pouring with rain. And not the weak, London type rain, but “cats and dogs” rain.
We visited the last few sights in KL in our time there and got a glimpse of a Malaysian prime minister on Monday. We went to the main square, to see the world’s highest flag pole, where a celebration of an Indian holiday, Vaiskahi, was taking place and the PM was the main guest.
On Tuesday I went to the Malaysian Synovate office, to visit all the people I worked with over the last two years. It was nice to finally put faces to names and even nicer to receive a warm welcome.
We also took the time to visit the Batu caves and the main backpackers’ joint in KL: reggae
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

6 level shopping mall, where they sold only tech stuff. 50+ places selling you the same model of a PC, laptop, mobile phone or TV. You can bargain.
bar. It should have been called Bob Marley bar as the whole place is packed with his images and they only played his music. It’s like Bob Marley is reggae. Not good.
Yean Yean and Susan took us for our last dinner in KL where we tried Malay food and then drove us across town to try more Malaysian desserts. Polona: We couldn’t escape durain again (I swear the worlds smelliest fruit, you can smell it miles away and it smells like sewer, tastes not much differently either). Jan says he kinda likes it 😊.
We left the luxury of Yean Yean’s flat and KL yesterday. After 4 days it was time to start moving and we arrived at a guesthouse in the Cameroon Highlands. It took 5 hours for app. 200 kilometre trip up hill, but at least we are here. It’s quite cosy (would probably be more if I wasn’t a proper Slovenian, saving money on rooms and settling for the dorms) but everything is really clean and nice, so can’t complain.
We took it easy yesterday, and only went back to town in search for some food, that isn’t Chinese, so we settled for Indian. For us
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

Batu caves
a big change. Oh, speaking of food, Sarah we are being good and we are taking pictures of all the airplane food just for you 😊
So today, we decided to go out and about on our own and to take a proper organised, all day, trek tomorrow. It seemed like a good idea. In search of the Parit falls, we ended up at some falls, but these were called Robinson falls, I thought, OK, a waterfall is a waterfall, so I wasn’t that fussed. As we had a lot of time on our hands, we continued the walk through the jungle, and it was really nice and green, and nice and green, and...😊, you get the picture. We planned to follow the path for some km to end the walk at the local road leading back to Tanah Rata, the town we are staying in. The plan sounded great, only the path suddenly seemed to finish, when we were deep in the jungle. There were trees and branches all over the path, so it was either return or continue. As we were a bit lazy, we decided to continue, only to find the path even more difficult as we
Photo 5Photo 5Photo 5

Cocktail menu at the reggae bar
walked on. In the middle, when we saw our goal, Robinson Power Plant, on the opposite side of the river, we were a bit worried that we are totally lost. But we somehow managed to get through and some bruises and scratches and ants down my trousers, we came to a road. We waited for a bus for more than an hour as there were 9km to Tanah Rata and the thought of walking up didn’t agree with us. Even my “bus song” which was supposed to bring the darn vehicle over to us, and which Jan totally appreciated for it’s splendour, didn’t work. We then managed to hitch a cab and were happy to arrive back to the hostel. I am leaving you now as my tummy is protesting as it’s been neglected, and I need to fill it up with something, anything, but Chinese food 😊. Over and out.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Yean Yean, Susan and the two of us having "dessert"
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

Jungle walk
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Jungle walk
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Jungle walk
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

The two of us after the walk. Still a long way to the city


5th May 2011

steta sto se ne moze lajkati nista na blogu... otherwise bi bio jedan big thumb up za cijeli backpacking :) A malo sam i ljubomorna... :) Uzivajte!!!
6th May 2011

...
pa mislim, da se moze. obstaja FB like gumb na blogu...a steta je, da se ne moze komentirat i likat posameznih slika...uzivaj!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb