More Malacca! Museum, Mega Mall, Movies, Manicures and Markets.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
December 22nd 2013
Published: December 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Roundabout on Jonker StreetRoundabout on Jonker StreetRoundabout on Jonker Street

Just to the right is the famous Chicken Rice shop (closed here - you can tell when it's open as there is a line up)
We started our day with a visit to the Swift Discovery museum where we learnt how this magical combination of bird spit and feathers is made into soup, drinks, etc = yuk.

To escape the heat for a while we headed to the Mega Mall. Did a little shopping. Aced the indoor carnival complete with ring-toss, poorly sited air rifles, chocolate wheels, darts etc. Ate lunch in the mega food court then split up.

Nic and Jesse went to the cinema to watch the new hobbit movie with delicious caramel popcorn.

Tash and I got manicures and pedicures back at the Baba House.

Wayne continued his self-guided walking tour and lined up (along with people from Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and even Korea) for the best Chicken Rice around. If you are interested in trying it for yourself there is no signage but there is a line whenever it is open just down from the Hard Rock Cafe next to the big roundabout with the ship (see attached photo).

After returning to the Jonker Street night markets for a few purchases we headed to the other side of the river. We decided against a river cruise as there were literally hundreds waiting. Just a little further around is the revolving tower. Tasha and Jesse went up and took photos over the city whilst I sat and whined bout the knee I bruised slipping on the concrete and Nick thought about buying robot cats. There was another market across the road but it had a very different vibe so we headed back to Baba House, stopping at the Geographer Cafe for dinner.

Malacca is clearly a tourist town but the majority of visitors seem to be from Malaysia, Singapore, India and various other Asian countries. It is not like Sth America or Thailand say where there are clear tourist trails followed by backpackers and bus tours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

City lights from the Menara Taming Sari revolving towerCity lights from the Menara Taming Sari revolving tower
City lights from the Menara Taming Sari revolving tower

The ride goes up 100 metres and lasts 7 minutes.
Like tuktuksLike tuktuks
Like tuktuks

These are brightly decorated and play really loud and often bizarrely inappropriate music.


Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb