How Many Cultures Did You Kill Today?


Advertisement
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
January 27th 2013
Published: January 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The guy you’re sharing a drink with at the bar is smoking a cigarette complaining about how smoky it is. How passive smoke is not only ghastly, but that it can create very real long-term health problems for those who breathe it, including cancer. “They’re killing everyone in here with their bloody smoking,” he blasts. As he takes another drag on his cigarette he derides the chain smoker ov... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Little IndiaLittle India
Little India

Singapore
MosqueMosque
Mosque

Singapore
Kiva showering his backside.Kiva showering his backside.
Kiva showering his backside.

A very public fountain, Kuala Lumpur
Jungle CanopyJungle Canopy
Jungle Canopy

Kuala Lumpur



28th January 2013

Brilliant metaphor!
This is why those truly searching for authenticity scour Italy in search of meals free of that dastardly tomato, and snub their noses at any dish prepared with the delectable spices of Malacca when outside the peninsula. Cultural homogeneity, indeed! Of course, to kill a culture presumes that cultures are static things, destroyed by change, rather than ever evolving and transmuted through contact, trade and tourism.
29th January 2013

To kill a culture...
When we change, it's called progress; when they change by attempting to progress it's perceived as them losing their culture and themselves.
28th January 2013

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
And for those that resist; "I should conclude that our demonstration was as impressive as it was thorough."
29th January 2013

There is hope, it is written...
"Alderaanians who were offworld at the time would later regularly go on pilgrimages known as The Returning to the remains of Alderaan. After the Empire wiped out a settlement created by surviving Alderaanians Ejolus, Alderaanians colonized New Alderaan which soon became a member of the New Republic..."
28th January 2013

Well, let's see how many cultures were killed in Malacca...
First, the Malays destroyed the culture of the aboriginal inhabitants of the Malay peninsula. Then it was either the Hindu Hinda raj (Indian) or descendent of Alexander the Great (European) founder of Malacca who destroyed the culture of the Malays. And once it became a trading center, the cultures of the "...Chinese, Moors from Cairo, Mecca, Aden, Abyssinians (Ethiopians), men of Kilwa (Tanzania), Hormuz (Iran), Parsees (Indian Zoroastrians), Turks, Christian Armenians, Gujaratees, men of the kingdom of Deccan (central India), Malabars (south India) and Klings , merchants from Ceylon (Sri Lanka), Bengal, Siam (Thailand), Malay, Cambodia, Champa (central Vietnam), Cochin China (southern third of Vietnam), Chinese, men of Brunei, Timor, Java, Palembang (Sumatra), and the Maldives" who destroyed the culture. This was followed by the destruction wrought by the English, Dutch, and Portugese in the 16th century onwards. And finally, the culture of not only Malacca, but almost the entire civilized world was destroyed by the American culture of movies, music, clothing, and fast food restaurants; and the dominance of the English language. I make that 30 cultures destroyed in Malacca. In another few centuries the dominant culture will look back on the culture of Malacca of today just as we are looking back at the culture several centuries ago...as authentic. I prefer to think of this blend like you described "Nyonya cuisine, which for the uninitiated is combination of Chinese, Malay/Indonesian and other influences into a unique blend, also known locally as the cuisine of the Perakanans, “descendants”. The 30 cultures did not destroy, but created a unique blend. I agree, however, that when you are in the midst of a cultural takeover, we regret the passing of the previous culture. I regret the impact that the American culture has had on the world, just as I regret the passing of the American culture of earlier generations. I also agree that tourists can accelerate cultural decline. I recently visited Thailand after having been away 25 years. I was aghast at the changes to their culture. Twenty five years earlier the Thai celebrated just a few events for themselves (Songkran in April, Loy Kratong in November, etc). Now there were celebrations almost every weekend for the tourists, and the dances and costumes used were glitzed up to appeal to the tourist audience. That's why when I was in Fiji and ran across a dance celebration by Fijians for Fijians, with me and a friend as the only foreigners, I felt that I was seeing an authentic cultural event. Anyway, I look forward to seeing Ali's response to the question you didn't raise in KL, but did here!
29th January 2013

The (re)invention of culture
An anthropologist, and dear friend, told me a story about how she was once with an eldery Fijian lady in Fiji, who was complaining about western tourists who come to Fiji and parade about topless on the beaches there. They are disrespecting and destroying our culture, she said. Of course when missionaries first arrived in Fiji many years before, they were horrfied to discover the local indigenous women walking around topless, and put a swift stop to all that sinful behaviour. The same friend also recounts how she had her elderly mother over to Fiji on a vacation. After watching a lovely local song and dance performance in a small village her mother purred over how authentic it all was. She didn't have the heart to tell her that most of these songs are locally translated versions of old Protestant hymns brought over by those same missionaries. As for the Thais (re)inventing culture and tradition for a tourist audience...all cultural practices and traditions are invented, even those 'original' traditions that were invented before our time on this planet, and those that will be inevitably (re)invented after it.
29th January 2013

The conclusion is...
the search for authenticity is futile. I heard somewhere that no scientific observation is accurate as the mere act of observing influences the results.
29th January 2013

Exactly...
If people believe that a mixture of cultures is no longer authentic and that any culture 'tainted' by ours is no longer authentic, then logic dictates that the tourists' quest is a doomed one. As their mere presence in seeking leads to those very cultural changes, hybridizations and contaminations (at least in their mind) they deplore.
29th January 2013

AND AFTER
And after the authentic cultural dances...they changed from their authentic cultural dress...and put on their authentic denim jeans & T-shirts...and went out on the town with their friends...can't get more authentic than that!
30th January 2013

Fair dinkum comment, mate.
The origins of this term came from the Victorian Goldfields where Chinese workers used the term Ding kum to confirm a deal that is honest and true. 'Din gum' meaning ‘real gold’ in Chinese
29th January 2013

I would like to add something intelligent
But I fear I will fail, so I won't... Especially since I see we are now moving into the field of physics, with all this talk of seeing is changing ;) In that regard I say, everything is relative, it fits nicely into all of this.
30th January 2013

Relative
And a matter of power, who has the right to decide
1st February 2013
Kiva in the tropical rainforest

Hes so big now!
Its hard to believe this is the baby that you brought to the philippines, or i may be mistaken
20th February 2013
Kiva in the tropical rainforest

That is indeed that baby!
Incidentally, in the next blog I will write about his return to the Philippines... I just have to get around to writing it;-)

Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 55; qc: 173; dbt: 0.2215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb