Culinary Capital


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
August 7th 2010
Published: August 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Everyone has had a slice of dear Melaka; the dutch, portuguese, british, chinese, invading armies of islam. It is quite the colourful place, literally, the british painted the whole town red at one point to assert the place as the dutch had left every building bleach white. The food here, whenever restaurants happen to be open is varied and great. The hours suck and we often have to wander for nearly an hour to find a non-western/corporate (ie mcdonalds) place to eat.

There were never any exports from Melaka so the invented themselves as a megaport and all trade routes passed through here to seek protection from the monsoon winds. Nowadays it is kinda boring and there is not much more to do other than eat and look at nice buildings. Many restaurants 0have this deal called Nasi Campur which is basically a plate full of rice with a buffet that you choose from. You only pay for what you take and veggies are cheap and meat more expensive. Its a great deal but there are never really any vegetables and the ones that are available are dosed in fishpaste/sauce. (i love the stuff but jenna is not so fond yet)

Our guest house is a sweet, cheap, family run place where we can use a kitchen and actually get to have some home sweet meals... like pasta! There is a diverse cast of older travelers here and everyone has such great info and tips and funny stories. Still... its boring here so we watched movies. We saw the new Ip man 2 which was brilliant and had us missing wing chun training. We also saw sherlock holmes (again) but its funnier after having read all the novels now.

Next stop is the tropical island (my first) Pulau Tioman. It is a world hot spot for diving and snorkling with jungle treks and fine beaches. (or so i am told) We are hitchhiking there from Melaka as i am tired of buses where we don't fit in the seats and it is more fun this way.

Let's see what Malaysia has to offer for psychos and maniacs on open road,
Brian and Jenna

Advertisement



9th August 2010

Tropical Island
Not a bad place to be diving and jungle trekking. Meanwhile, back on the farm, it's Canadian hot i.e. humidex in high 30's low 40's; rain several times a week with lots of vegetation trying grow taller and taller especially our lawn. Weather was predicted hot and dry. Only the hot part was correct. Starting to have cooler nights so sleep is possible most nights again. Could be worse. News report said that 700 people a day are dying in Moscow due to heat and smog and smoke pollution due to many forest fires in Russia and the hottest summer there in over 100 years; Pakistan is flooded and China is having massive mud slides. Make the tall grass seem not so bad. Plan B is busy. We are making shares in the new building and work in underway to put in the new freezer. As usual, lots of people coming and going.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0908s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb