Historic Melaka (24 - 26 March 2005)


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
March 26th 2005
Published: April 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hotel PuriHotel PuriHotel Puri

The award winning boutique hotel.

Hotel Puri and Beyond, Serenity in the heart of beautiful Melaka


"Selamat Datang! Welcome to the award-winning Hotel Puri in the heart of Historic Melaka!

Finally, we got a chance to stay in this beautifully-restored hotel. I had to admit that this was one of the best hotel stays I had with lots of charm and character. Forget about the 4 or 5 stars hotel in the vicinity. If there was one place that you should stay while in Melaka, Hotel Puri was it. Of course, for the budget conscious, the neighboring Baba House made an excellent alternative with rates 50%!o(MISSING)f what we were paying at Puri.

Both hotels are situated along the historic Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock (Lao Jie - Old Street), next the Baba and Nyona Museum - also another gem along the Lao Jie. My late grandma was a Bibi (for males we call them Baba). Sadly, It was after this visit to the museum that we knew more about the peranakan culture -- from a third party.

About 10 minutes walk from the hotel is the town square dominated by the famous Stadthuys, the A Famosa Fort
Hotel PuriHotel PuriHotel Puri

The courtyard where we had our breakfast. Breakfast is ok. It's the atmosphere that adds up.
and the Cendol House. Was the Cendol really that nice? You be the judge. Anyway, we had another delicious serving at one of the shop houses nearby and the gula Melaka was simply fabulous. We just wished that our stomachs were bigger to store the delicious offerings in store.

The Mahkota Parade Shopping Centre across the road tops in everything except perhaps its notorious toilets. Apparently, the flushing system wasn’t working the day we visited. Anyway, we did have a good time stopping by at Kenny Rogers and catching a movie (Miss Congeniality 2) at the shopping centre …




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cendol TourCendol Tour
Cendol Tour

Was it nice? See how many bowls we are going to demolish. Ok, there's more than 2 people eating haha.
Baba & Nyona MuseumBaba & Nyona Museum
Baba & Nyona Museum

Educational, historical and memorial! This was where I knew more about My Grandma's background other than the "mua" costume that she wore at home.
Mr Cendol ManMr Cendol Man
Mr Cendol Man

This cendol stall is different from the one we had. It's at a roadside stall along the town square.


7th April 2006

Pictures
Hey, your pictures are really lovely.
13th April 2006

hmm
the chendol looks good leh. urg

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb