Day 10 - Langkawi / Island exploring

Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
October 26th 2015
Published: April 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I had the worst nights sleep last night, so we got up around 9:30am to go down for breakfast. We were a little slow, but made it down to the hire car place about 10:45am. 'Hire car place' was pushing it as it cost us only 60MR (Aus$20) to hire the car for the day, but it kind of felt like we were borrowing it off a mate. There was no urgency for him to check Bec's ID and all he took was a 50MR cash deposit.
We had a very limited map but made it out to our first stop, the cable car, with no problems. It was already stifling hot by this time. To cool down I went and got myself an ice-cream and Bec got a Coke and then we noticed we had allocated boarding times for the cable car, and we had missed our time; not to worry. We lined up in the queue which wasn't long and probably less than 10mins later we got in our little cab with 4 other randoms.
The view was spectacular! It goes nearly 950m up, crazy!
When you get to the top of that cable car, you then get off, admire the amazing view and make your way across on another one to get over to the bit where the sky bridge is. The Sky Bridge hasn't long been re-opened after being closed for 2.5yrs for repairs and maintenance so they are still working on the area around it. That includes the steps that go from the top of the cable car and down to the bridge. At the moment you use temporary mountain stairs that go for about 200m; a bit of a struggle in that weather but we did it.
The Sky Bridge is really cool. Langkawi Sky Bridge is a 125-metre curved pedestrian cable-stayed bridge, completed in 2005.The bridge deck is located 660 metres (2,170 ft) above sea level at the peak of Gunung Mat Chinchang. After taking all the necessary photos we made our way back across and down in the cable car to the bottom.
Also, included in our ticket was entry to the Langkawi 3D Museum.
‘Art in Paradise, Langkawi’ is a purpose-built, 3D art museum. It is the largest of its kind in Malaysia, and second largest in the world! When you enter each area there are pictures stuck on boards for reference so you can't get the angle wrong. It's very spaciously spread out so you don't often invade any other groups privacy. Hats off to the artists who did up the place, it’s fantastic.
We had a lot of fun and got through it pretty quickly as it was a pretty quiet day.
From there, we jumped back in the car headed for Temurun Waterfall.
Temurun waterfall is Langkawi’s tallest waterfall. Located in Datai Bay area, Temurun is a three tier Waterfall and the cumulative drop of the falls is about 200 meters.
It was a bit of a hike into it; up and down some pretty steep steps, but we made it, and it was beautiful.
There weren't a lot of people there, which was nice. Bec went in first for some photos then it was my turn. It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be, so we went for a proper swim over to the bottom of the falls and back. The water was crystal clear thanks to the rain the night before; it was the perfect time to visit. After a bit more of a swim, we walked back to the car and took some photos of Pebbles Beach before jumping back in and heading towards Cenang.
On the drive back we stopped off at another beach called Pasir Tengkorak. It is a favourite picnic spot and resembles a pirates’ hideout with its stretch of beach flanked by boulders at both ends. Thanks again to the rain the previous night we had scored a beautiful blue sky day. We didn’t stay too long, took some photos and took in the view before we headed back to the car.
We were headed back in the direction of the Cenang but stopped off at Perdana Quay for a quick look.
It housed some beautiful, almost French inspired shops and restaurants and also some very large yachts. It was very pretty but we left pretty quickly as there was a large storm cloud approaching and we wanted to beat that back to Cenang.
We jumped back in the car and made it back to Cenang in about 30mins. We dropped off the car to our mate and walked back to the hotel.
We had quick showers and headed back off trying to beat the rain. We made it to The Yellow Cafe and cut down the laneway to the beach to take some sunset photos and photos with the big Langkawi sign on the side of the hill. I got a few shots in before we went to eat and the downpour started again; at least the rain was only happening at night here.
We had a lovely dinner at the Yellow cafe; I got a pepperoni pizza and Bec got the same as she'd had the night earlier and we got veggie spring rolls to share. The food was just as good as the previous night.
We sat for ages after finishing our meals to enjoy the most magnificent light show put on by mother nature. We waited until the storm passed enough that we could get a break from the rain and get back to the hotel. Eventually this happened and we walked back to the hotel, but stopped in at our minimart to get some nail polish remover and nail polish as we thought we could do face masks and that back at the hotel.
When we got back, there was a movie starting called Walk of Shame which I had seen but enjoyed, so we watched that before hitting the hay; in the hopes that I could get some decent sleep tonight.


Tot: 1.809s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb