Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kuala Lumpur
January 19th 2011
Published: January 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

So after 2 years of planning, our travels have finally begun!! I will write a bit about what we've been doing in a paragraphs time, but first as not requested by Em & Steve Stead I will tell a bit about the journey to London Stansted and then to Kuala Lumpur (KL). It was very long and very boring!!

I was going to include some pictures with this blog but unfortunately the hostel we are at does not allow you to plug in USB devices, will try to upload some in the future.

We arrived at KL at around 7:30 and after getting a 2 hour bus, followed by a taxi who we graciously gave 3 x the recommended fee to we were at our hostel, Reggae Guest House 2 which is in Chinatown and is a very nice hostel. Our first day ended with a delicious Chicken Egg Fried Rice.

After a pretty poor nights (days) sleep we got up to go on a hop on hop off bus tour of Kuala Lumpur. This proved to be really useful as it took us around the best parts of KL, allowing us to get on and off the bus as we chose. Along the way we saw the Royal Palace, a Bird Park, St Mary's Church, The Patronis Towers (massive twin towers!!) and Little India.

Our plan for the next day was to get up early and go up the Patronis Towers to the viewing bridge, unfortunately by the time we had arrived at 8:30 (as recommended to us) all the tickets had gone which was quite a big disappointment but hopefully we'll go up there on our way out KL in May when we go to Australia.

Amongst other things we that day we went to a Times Square Mall, which is a 10 storey shopping mall and of all the random things has a theme park on the 7th - 10th floors complete with 800m rollercoaster!! We didn't go on this however as you have to pay for the entry for the amusement park and not just the rollercoaster which was the only non-kid ride in there.

For our final full day in KL we decided to go to the Batu Caves, this is a cave at the top of a steep 200 steps climb which shelters Hindu shrines. The day that we chose to go is one of 3 days where there was the Hindu Thaipusam Festival, which meant there were hundreds of people there as well as various processions and ceremonies. This really is a beautiful place, the Hindu shrines are incredible and there is a very good view at the top of the stairs, just watch out for the monkeys as they will steal any loose food you may be carrying. Thankfully Hayley and I had already read about this so kept our food sealed in our rucksacks.

Overall KL has been a great start to our travels, the food has been very good, excellent weather (except for one 2 hour downpour) and has given us an insight into some of the things we can expect to see along the rest of our travels. Next stop Cameron Highlands, which is a hill station surrounded by rain forest where we hope to go on a trek or two.

Advertisement



21st January 2011

Fab Start...
...Sounds like a great start to your travels. A great whistle stop tour of Kuala Lumpar for those of us who know little about anywhere south of Sheffield!! Although no info on the trip to Stansted!! xx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb