Miller round the world Day 12


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kuala Lumpur
October 12th 2010
Published: October 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6:00. Repack and breakfast at a different location where there was a baby grand that I was able to play for about 10 minutes. I really miss the piano. Before we boarded the bus, the resort staff sang us a farewell song and posed with us for photos. They really are a tremendous group.

45-minute drive back to and through Kota Kinbalu and on to the airport. We got a glimpse of the slopes of Mt. Kinbalu in the distance but the rest of the mountain was shrouded in mist. This is the highest mountain in SE Asia,  BTW.

Took over an hour to get through airport stuff and then we had to sit on the plane  for another 30 minutes. Very hot.

2 hour flight to Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. We are processed and loaded onto buses. Our local guide is named "Clarence," who seems to be very proud of his city. He explains that many of the buildings, including the airport, date back to 1995 when the Commonwealth games were held here. The airport, designed by some famous guy, has the theme "airport in the forest; forest in the airport," which means that the complex is surrounded by trees and has trees growing everywhere inside it, including on the roofs. Clarence also tells us that KL has a "twin" tradition when it comes to architecture, in the sense that many buildings have two identical or similar parts.
 
We drive through palm orchards surrounding the airport, from whence palm oil, one of Malaysia's main exports is produced. Apparently the country is also the world's largest producer of both rubber and tinfoil. The legacy of tin mining is all around in the numerous lakes that dot the area.
 
On the way to the city proper, we stop in Piijatruya, a government city where all the federal ministries are located.  The buildings are amazing, each one unique. We see the government mosque, the prime minister's office and department building, and many other buildings. Finally we arrive in downtown KL. It is a strikingly beautiful city, with endless skyscrapers, most of breathtaking design. The city also incorporates green areas successfully in the midst of all this concrete.

We arrive at our hotel, the Renaissance, one of city's oldest and most prestigious hotels. The hotel is magnificently appointed in a classical style, and our room is huge although a little warm. Our window looks down upon an immense resort-style swimming pool area with patios and bars.

We meet downstairs at 7 pm to be bused to supper at the Harkat, reputedly one of the cities' outstanding Chinese restaurants. The drive there is a crawl through extremely crowded streets, caused mostly by people leaving work. KL has major traffic problems. The restaurant is completely al fresco. We sit at our table surrounded by magnificent skyscrapers in every direction, including the famous twin towers of Petronus.  We have just ordered drinks when an explosion is heard around the corner and the lights go out. Apparently, a hydro substation has blown. Staff bring out candles and everything proceeds as planned. The meal is quite possibly the best Chinese I have ever had. Standouts were the panko encrusted shrimp balls and the lemon chicken, as well as the incredible fresh mango for dessert. About halfway through power is partially restored, which happily reactivates the suspended fans and gives us some moving air. Home by bus and into bed.
Unfortunately, it appears that Violet has picked up an ear infection from our last stop. She starts antibiotics tonight and we hope she recovers quickly.

Tomorrow will be devoted to a city tour.  

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb