It will take a while to acclimatise....


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kuala Lumpur
January 16th 2010
Published: January 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are finally here, a rather uneventful journey with no major hiccups.

Thanks to a lift from Graham we were at Stansted in plenty of time to catch our flight and after a few swift ones in the Wetherspoons we were shuttled out to our plane and on our way.

The plane was spacious enough which is saying something with my lanky legs. Emma even managed to curl up into a cocoon and hibernate for most of the flight. A fact she is very proud of. I think her Nytol/Gin abuse was the main reason behind this.

When we touched down at 8 in the evening it was a shock to the system to go from snow to 30 degrees. After collecting our backpacks we had an eventful run in with a cash machine. "Invalid Card" is not what Emma wanted after months of stressing to banks that we were going travelling. Mr Natwest with his "I'll just put Thailand for where you are going" had not filled us with hope. However the next machine was much more obliging and we shot off to find a bus.

This proved difficult as well until we were flagged down by guys in yellow tshirts who seemed to know their stuff. They promptly put us on a bus bound for KL Central. This took longer than expected but we arrived in good time to check in to our Hotel ..........

Only they weren't expecting us. Because we had used a Debit and not a Credit card to book, they had given away our rooms and were now fully booked. Stumbled around the corner to a more upmarket hotel and finally dumped our backpacks (get used to us saying this).

As everything was closing up we went to a supermarket for 2 noodle pots and 4 bottles of beer and finally chillaxed after 28 hours on the go.




The next day we woke up and headed down for our inclusive breakfast - 1 hour late. Woops guess we hadn't taken the jetlag into considreation. We wandered round but then promptly returned to our beds as the jetlag properly kicked in.

Woke up a few hours later feeling better and embarked on a walk all around Kuala Lumpur. This took us to Little India, the colonial district, China town and posh bit. The last had many advantages including air con and starbucks.

We walked through the markets and up to Petronas Towers (all the tickets for the day were sold out so we are saving this for later in the trip). Emma insisted we take a ride on the monorail which took us through the upmarket area and back towards China Town. Here she fulfilled another ambition and we had Chicken Satay sticks from a Hawkers stall.

After this we trudged back to the Hotel to rest our feet and then head out into the Night Market to sample the food and sights of Chinatown.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



18th January 2010

At last, really pleased to hear from you! Been checking your blog every hour, it looks really good! All the snow gone here, might get a strappy top out myself. Keep in touch, let us know how it's all going! Love you loads Miss you! Emu, did you remember Dad's birthday?
18th January 2010

the beach
hope ya avin a gr8 time kiddoes, dnt be going all Robbie Carlye on us, take it easy out there, hope you took a little scouse twang out there to educate not exterminate the brutes ( a little Joseph Conrad reference to prove i am literate). lots of ginger love, Davey
27th January 2010

Ironic
I was looking around for some information on Hat Yai and I stumble into your blog. It's ironic that a malaysian ( myself ) is working in London under freezing temperature, and you guys are enjoying a nice and sunny weather in Malaysia. Oh well, that is life. Anyway, enjoy your holiday in Asia! I will probably head to the nearest pub and start listing down reasons why am I in London.

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb