A ride on the jungle train


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kelantan » Kota Bharu
May 8th 2011
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Way up north

The end of the jungle line in Kota Bharu

Taking the jungle train up through the shack villages was like stepping back through time. Houses consisted of tin sheds mostly squeezed between the railway line and either a cliff or the jungle. Most villages won't much bigger then a dozen of these sheds and im not sure where their income came from, although there were two bigger villages in the rail line there wasn't much else, suppose that's why they call it the jungle line.
Arriving in Kota Bharu in the middle of a tropical storm wasn't the best especially when we were greeted by a taxi trout who was adamant on overcharging us (Anki, a russian guy I couldn't pronounce the name of and myself) for a taxi to the backpackers Anki had been recommended.
Arriving at the backpackers it was by far the worst recommendation ever! The pillows were filled with rocks, the showers were cold water coming out of a pipe and he wanted to charge for wifi and made it sound like he was doing us a favour! Anyway after a quick shower we headed off to the raved about night markets, which if I hadn't been unable to eat anything else I could have sat there all night and tried all the different foods they even made chicken pancakes! After a quick walk around the town including, obviously Chinatown (what I love about Chinatown is when you ask them if something is real they tell you Chinatown real!)
We then headed back to the hostel ready for our early start in the morning to the Perhentian islands.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb