Langkawi - Lake of the Pregnant Maiden


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
August 17th 2008
Published: August 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Jetty where you arrive on Pulau Dayang Bunting.The Jetty where you arrive on Pulau Dayang Bunting.The Jetty where you arrive on Pulau Dayang Bunting.

Once you come by dinghy, longboat or yacht you have to disembark here to walk to the lake.
The Lake of the Pregnant Maiden is the largest freshwater lake of Langkawi and is located in the south of the island Dayang Bunting. You can only go there by boat.
From Porto Malay many operators offer this service as an island hopping tour for a few ringits. The boat takes you to the foot of a hill of the island and then you have a 10 min. walk up the hill through the jungle and then about 100 steps down the hill to the lake. Flip Flops will be fine but you should be in a reasonable physical condition.
Tip: Never carry plastic bags, food or soft drinks while walking up as the monkeys can be very aggressive and keep your smaller children closed by. Have a stick with you in case you see bigger monkeys. Not really dangerous but it can be scary! And please do not feed the monkeys.
You can buy drinks once you arrive up there.
This little walk will reward you with a beautiful view over this lake. he water is nice and safe for a swim but not clear.
One of Langkawi's many myth says, that women that can not conceive, will after having
Path from jetty to the junglePath from jetty to the junglePath from jetty to the jungle

You walk this way towards the jungle. Be aware of monkeys! No plastic bags, food or drinks in your hands!
had a swim in this lake.
It is recommendable to go in the afternoon, as it will be less touristy. Since about February 2008 they have rebuilt the path that leads you half around the lake and at the end you can climb up some steps and come to a platform from where you overlook the ocean and the lake. Really beautiful. If you walk this path quietly, you might be lucky and see some lizards, the only otter living in this lake and for sure you will see a lot of butterflies and some colorful birds.
You can rent little solar boats of kayaks and explore this lake.
Please do not leave garbage and care for the environment.
Blue Water Star Sailing offers private tours to this lake on different boats and yachts. Have a look to the website www.bluewaterstarsailing.com




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The pontoons on the lakeThe pontoons on the lake
The pontoons on the lake

You can just jump in for a beautiful refreshment!
Kajaks in the lake.Kajaks in the lake.
Kajaks in the lake.

You can charter kayaks or little unmotorized solar boats to explore the lake. I highly recommend to do so.
Path around the lake.Path around the lake.
Path around the lake.

It always astonishes me that only very few tourists ever go this little but beautiful path half around the lake. It start right next to the little shop.
View to the lake from the pathView to the lake from the path
View to the lake from the path

If you love nature, you will love this little path. It takes only about 10 minutes.
Path around the lake 2Path around the lake 2
Path around the lake 2

Flip flops will be enough but you should be physically able to walk and climb a few steps.
wildlifewildlife
wildlife

Not only monkeys you can see but if you walk quietl you might see the only otter living in the lake and some large monitor lizards.
the view is beautiful!the view is beautiful!
the view is beautiful!

Don't forget your camera!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb