Langkawi..1st day


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
March 25th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After nearly 28 hours of travelling, 2 planes and 2 overnight trains, we FINALLY arrived in Langkawi, a small island of the North West coast of Malaysia. This tax free island promised to offer cheap booze, amazing beaches, intense sun and great diving.

We hadn’t booked any accommodation as we thought we would be relaxed and spontaneous and choose somewhere when we arrived. This was a bit of a mistake as we realised that anything situated on the beach that was half decent was pricey and the accommodation available was pretty grim. We asked a very cool bloke with dreadlocks listening to Zero 7 on the beach if there were any decent, reasonably priced places to stay and he pointed us towards Gecko, a clean, basic and cheap place which offered good breakfast, cheap beer and lizards to keep you safe at night! Our bathroom was like a nature reserve and one night we came home after having a few drinks in an Irish bar (they get everywhere!) and Andy attempted to save me from the evil clutches of a giant 6ft bug which was nesting on our bathroom wall by firing it with our powerful shower hose. This might not sound too funny to read but at the time, half drunk, it was very funny.

After we found our accommodation we headed to the beach. Stupidly, I made myself far too at home and got badly burnt in the 35+sun. I seriously underestimated the heat of the sun and I am now a lovely shade of pink and am shredding like a snake.
In the evening we had a BBQ on the beach which consisted of satay, a Malaysian dish, and fresh fish caught that day.

The next day, Monday 26th February, we sat on the beach and did nothing but chill out and drink Tiger beer. On the way back from the beach we popped into the Irish bar again as we had noticed the night before that they served Fish 'n' chips. We have been craving English food so we both ordered a massive plate of fish, chips and mushy peas, it was the best meal we have had in ages! We were so excited and had to get a tourist to take a photograph which made us look pretty pathetic. Look how happy we look in the picture...in fact, I had already started stuffing my face and have a mouth full of food!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Fish washed up on the beachFish washed up on the beach
Fish washed up on the beach

at first we thought this was a toy fish because of all the colours on its body but we later found a few more washed up on the beach and realised it was real
Traditional Malay meal- satayTraditional Malay meal- satay
Traditional Malay meal- satay

I can assure you this tasted better then it looks!
The best meal everThe best meal ever
The best meal ever

look how happy we look as we tuck into our fish n chips!


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb