Rawahhh, the best kept secret in Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Johor » Pulau Rawa
March 31st 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Pulau Rawa


We left Pulau Tioman at about 7:30AM for Pulau Rawa. The ferry dropped us off right in the middle of the island. As soon as I stepped out of the boat, I was stunned! This place was amazing. It was only about 1000 meters long and 300 meters wide and the beach didn't even stretch across the whole island, but it was beautiful. You'll like the pictures of the island, but those don't even really do it justice. I had my camera in my room during the day when it was sunny, but I refused to leave the beach to go get it.

We started out by going to the top of the island to take a few photos of the scenery. Then, after lunch, we hung out all day and did a bit of snorkeling and relaxing in the sun. After a nap in the hammock and some volleyball by the beach, 5 of us took off in kayaks to paddle around the island. As we left the beach, the clear blue water turned a dark emerald green. We were getting into rough seas and deep water which was a little unsettling but the view was great. The whole back side of the island was made up of steep cliffs that dropped straight down to the bottom of the South China Sea. We figured out that the rough currents on this side (the east) were what created the small beach on the other side. It was just a tiny slice of paradise. Its so small in fact that, according to the resort workers, most people in Malaysia outside of the southern province don't even know that it exists. I was shocked to hear that but it was tiny. Its privately owned by 2 brothers who each have a small resort. I'd say about 150 people can sleep there each night.

We had another birthday party that night since another group member was celebrating a birthday. After the neighbors yelled at us we decided to go to the beach for a bit. Too bad we didn't know the "perfect storm" was on the horizon. After one hell of a rainstorm we headed back for some sleep.

We awoke the next day and hung out for a while before we had to get on the 2:00 ferry back to Mersing. Leaving Pulau Rawa was a bit painful but I was really glad I had the opportunity to go.

IF YOU'RE IN MALAYSIA YOU HAVE TO GO TO PULAU RAWA!!!! You will not regret it one bit!




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

PeacockPeacock
Peacock

there were tons of these on the island


31st March 2010

how to get to pulau rawa?
hello, i am planning a trip to malaysia in a couple of weeks, mainly relaxing and swimming in pulau tioman. I came across your blog and pulau rawa sounds pretty amazing. However, i have difficulties finding the info on how to get there from Tioman. They only say you can take a boat from Mersing, but i'd rather take something from Tioman. Do you remember how you got there and how long it took???? would greatly appreciate your answer. many thanks

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb