Bus, bus and more bus. And then Ken.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Johor » Mersing
February 9th 2010
Published: February 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today promised to be very boring. Woke up early to catch the 7:30am bus out of the rain forest to Jerantut to change to another bus to Kuantun to change again to Mersing. All in all we arrive in Mersing at 6pm. Many, many hours of sitting on buses. The first was a bumpy local job down the mountain. The second promised to be an upgrade but failed to deliver due to some bung suspension or something but we were near hitting the ceiling at every bump in the road (even though it appeared flat). The third however was quite a treat. The driver stopped at a little food court where i picked up a Mee Goreng and mango crush. Grand total: $2.50 and it was beyond delicious.

In Mersing the bus driver walked us to the tourist office. This is the sort of kindness you come to expect in Malaysia. People will go well out of there way to help you. Taxi drivers who try sprouke a ride to you will gladly help you find your bus stop when you simply say your destination (which is clearly not taxi-able).

The tourist office was beyond helpful. Although it took an hour or so we totally booked our 6 nights accommodation plus all transport to, from and around Tioman Island. Total cost: $100au for some very, very nice looking places.

Here we met Ken. To understand this segment of the day you really had to be there but I will try explain. Ken is a jolly fellow of about 50. He resides in Melbourne but was born in Mersing and spends the year between the two (and various other global destinations). We spoke to him in the tourist office where he was just chilling with a friend. He explained that the hotel we planned on staying at was closed (and it was). He immediately offered his floor for us three. Initially wary, we warmed to the idea as we got to know him better. He is the type of guy who opens his doors to strangers and feels insulted if you don't treat it like home.

Anyway, it turns out Ken rich in Australian terms; beyond rich in Malaysian terms. His monetary wealth however is not matched in companionship, especially when in Malaysia (a combination which has worked well in our favour). He used to supply the company that preceded Harvery Norman (Bramshaws or something for the oldies) with all their electrical goods. After a few gin and tonics and a few more scotches on his behalf the truth became more apparent. He had met Jerry Harvey, Bing Lee and used to be quite a big player in that industry. Between him and his two brothers it feels like they own half of Mersing real estate. Truth be told he is beyond rich in Australian terms; a king relative to his wealth in Malaysia but evidently money can not cure loneliness.

He took us out for dinner which was unbelievable. Trout and sweet and sour pork were out of this world and the tiger beer kept flowing. We all agreed to shout him dinner for his wonderful hospitality but he wouldn't have it. Admittedly, it was cheap in Australian dollars but very dear in Malaysian terms.

He showed us around Mersing as well in his old style nice merc, but that is enough about that day. It promised little and delivered hugely. Tomorrow, we take the 4pm ferry to Tioman Island-rated in the top 10 islands of the world by Time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb