Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
February 10th 2008
Published: July 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Macau, the old Portuguese colony, returned to China in 1999, famous by your casinos, nowadays the GDP of Macau's casinos is higher than Las Vega's. The language there is Cantonese and Mandarin, but the most of people don't speak well the Mandarin, some English can help too, and what about the Portuguese? Forget about, I couldn't find the Chinese speaking Portuguese there, I was expecting to speak Portuguese with a lot of the Chinese people, but I only find the plaques of street in Portuguese, that is all.
Macau has the culinary influence from China and Portugal, you can find the codfish ball, Portuguese sweeties, Chinese noddles and so on. The main saint in Macau is the A-ma from Taoism, A-ma is a female saint, protector of the oceans.
Macau is now a Special Administrative Region of China, there is a Chinese army base, but the administrative has your independence as Hong Kong is now, even Macau and Hong Kong belong to China, but Chinese people need a travel document to get in there, and theoretically they need a tourist agenda and accompanied by tourist agent.
This time we arrived in Macau without the hostel booking, actually I couldn't contact the hostel there and we decided to find it when we arrive, big mistake, the hostel wasn't opened because of Chinese new year, and the hotels were full and we couldn't find a available hotel to stay, so we decided to stay all night in the Lisboa casino, what insane idea! My budget for casino was 200 Macau Dollars, I didn't remember the hour, my friend was feeling bad, and we really need to find a place to get rest, and I won 2 times in the roulette so leaved the casino with 1300 Macau Dollar, what lucky night!! And we found a simple guest house to stay a night also. So never and ever go to somewhere in China without previous booking on Chinese new year holiday, because there are so many people travelling that you can not find easily a available place to stay even you have the money.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



21st July 2011

Wonderful.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb