Indo-Portuguese


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
December 12th 2005
Published: December 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post


Macau, China: Nov. 27-29

We travelled overnight on a bus full of beds (In all my travels, I had never encountered such a bus before). It was much more bearable than the 10 hour torment I had envisioned. We arrived at 5 am in Shenzhen and took the next couple hours to figure out how to get to the Port as we had no guide book and it is near impossible to get around China otherwise as next to no one speaks english and everything is written in Chinese but we persevered, got on a bus and hoped that at some point it would end up at the Pier. It did about 2 hours later after what could be called the extremely scenic route of Shenzhen.

We arrived in Macau and were charmed by its quaint mix of Portugese colonial style with a Chinese flair. Macau has been declared a UNESCO heritage site as it is the only place in the world where one will encounter this sort of mix. Since 1997, Macau was officially returned to China after a century of Portugese rule but it still retains much of it's Portuguese heritage which brings along perks such as very cheap wine and cheese - far to find on this side of the world. Everywhere in Macau can be travelled on foot and everywhere we went Zachary was bombarded with photo takers. Within China especially, it was worse than anywhere else with us taking a rest and ending up being there for an hour photo session with people lined up to take their picture with Zachary. It was really unbelievable- I think he is such a wonder here especially since they have a 1 child policy so babies and boys are so revered. Imagine no one in China has brothers or sisters, a huge nation of only children. Though a little known fact is that in the countryside they are allowed to have 2 children to help with the farming.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb