What no Gambling?


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau » Macau
February 2nd 2010
Published: September 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I decide to make the day trip over to Macau via the fast jet and don’t regret it. My assumption of Macau is a gamblers paradise and not much else right?

Well like my initial impression of Hong Kong as a shopper’s paradise only was wrong so is that of Macau.

Macau until 1999 was occupied by the Portuguese and the influence is evident throughout the city and the historic center. Both Portuguese food and Portuguese architecture has influenced the look and tastes throughout the city. Even though the casinos are a big draw card of Macau, earning more revenue the Las Vegas, it’s possible to explore some nice sights of the city without stepping foot into the casino.

I decide to take the free bus available at the jetty to get to a random casino and actually feel what its like inside the casino. The casinos are pretty impressive, each with their own theme and style.

After the casino I head to the historic center of Macau and visit A-Ma Temple. A-Ma temple overlooks Barra Square and the Moorish Barracks and where I head around and check out the streets along the way. Inside the church I’m reminded of when I, Dad and Liz visited Portugal for the architecture is very similar. After walking around the city, I realize I have to run to catch my ferry. I’m lucky on the way to the ferry I manage to hitch a ride with an off duty bus and make it with 10 minutes to spare. Back in Hong Kong I meet with Wayne and Clara and we have a delicious dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.394s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 21; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb