Macau SAR


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau » Macau
June 16th 2009
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Church of Sao PaoloChurch of Sao PaoloChurch of Sao Paolo

It's in ruins, all but for the facade
Macau reminded me, for some strange reason, of Andorra.

Outwardly, they haven't got much in common: Andorra is a beautiful mountainous land set in the midst of the Pyrenees, and Macau is a hilly, humid, coastal resort.

Perhaps it is the fact that neither would exist with any sort of independence or income if they hadn't learned to lure people there and take their money.

In Andorra, which is fast becoming the Strip Mall of Europe, sales-tax-free shopping and its status as a tax haven bring in the foreign dollars. In Macau, it's the glittering towers of casino resorts that suck up the yuan from China.

Apparently the Chinese have a national obsession with gambling, and since it is only legal in Macau Special Administrative Region, they come there in droves to try their fate at the tables.

I know you're thinking, "Why, it's a Chinese Las Vegas!" But aside from the fact that there are casinos, including the Sands, the Wynn, MGM Grand, and the Venetian, there is no real comparison. The atmosphere is completely different.

Instead of the flashing lights and ringing bells, the hubbub and excitement of a Vegas casino floor, you instead have an oppressive hush; it's as though you're in a room full of gambling addicts who take it entirely too seriously. Not a lot of fun, to be honest.

Macau does have some fun stuff. Since it is a former Portuguese colony, the old town boasts some lovely southern-European-esque architecture with its Leal Senado, Church of Sao Paolo, and Fortaleza do Monte. It also has some of the most interesting fusion food I've ever seen: Chinese meets Portuguese?

There is also the Fisherman's Wharf, a really hilarious amusement park. It was a bit like Epcot center, where you can roam around the world in a matter of meters. I saw Amsterdam, Germany, Venice, ancient Rome and Egypt, Tibet, and mainland China.

I mean, who needs to actually visit Lhasa or Beijing when they can see huge imitations of the Potala and Forbidden Palaces at a theme park?

I wrapped up my day by meeting about fifty of Travis' banking/trading friends over at the Hong Kong International Finance Center, where we gulped expensive cocktails on a rooftop bar overlooking Victoria Harbor. I then had one of the spiciest meals I've ever eaten (see pic). Sichuan cuisine
Potala Palace at Fisherman's WhaftPotala Palace at Fisherman's WhaftPotala Palace at Fisherman's Whaft

I'm so glad I didn't bother with the real thing...
is nothing like this back home! (Yes, I did eat one of the peppers, and immediately regretted it!)


**If you enjoyed this post, then make sure you subscribe by clicking on the "subscribe" button at the top left of the page! Tell others!
**New readers: Get the quick and dirty at http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/drofykceb/Trips/2241. You can start at the beginning or pick anywhere you like to start living vicariously (or laughing vicariously, as it will most likely turn out)


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Drinks at the IFCDrinks at the IFC
Drinks at the IFC

With pal and hotelier Travis
PastelleriaPastelleria
Pastelleria

Selling traditional Macanese delicacies, a blend of Portuguese and Chinese....interesting


17th June 2009

Where in the world is Becky?
Thanks Becky, I needed to look up both Andorra and Macau. Your pictures and messages are great. I suppose some rooms in Vegas are exactly like you described, the hush of anticipation. I've never been in any of them.

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb