Thailand into Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
January 31st 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thailand into Laos on a slow boat- the ultimate way to travel!

Our journey began travelling from Chiang Mai to the border town of Chiang khong with a quick detour to visit the newly built "white temple". This temple was like no other we've seen, it has been designed by a thai artist and is meant to illustrate the journey from hell into heaven. The temple is amazing, like something out of narnia, there should be a snow queen living there! It is so pretty with pristine white walls and tiny mirrors decorating it but it had a dark twisted meaning to it, with the inside being decorated with random pictures of superheroes, the twin towers and george bush and bin laden, along with evil creatures surrounding the temple (such as a metal statue of "predator"). It was amazing but weird at the same time!

We stayed one night in Chaing khong before beginning our slow boat into Luang Prabang, Laos. This was incredible, the scenery was out of this world with mountains and karsts jotting out of the mekong river and jungle in every direction. The journey took 2 days with one nights stay in a town called Pak Beng.

Luang Prabang:

We have fallen in love with this place, it is so gorgeous. It is really relaxed, and french style villas and guest houses line the streets along the river side with the mountains and jungle always in the background!
We spent 3 nights here, the days were spent exploring the city, learning the laos language from the local children and visiting local waterfalls. Beeauutiful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb