More wanderings in Lao


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
April 21st 2009
Published: April 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arche de Triomphe, VientianeArche de Triomphe, VientianeArche de Triomphe, Vientiane

The US donated cement for the construction of a runway and they used it to build this instead.
We took a bus from Vang Vieng to Vientiane, the capital of Lao. How strange a capital city! It's just as laid back as the rest of Lao and feels more like a Western suburb than a capital city. It's like Burbank without any high rises (or Jay Leno.) Well, there is one 15 story hotel on the banks of the Mekong but other than that, most everything is a couple of stories high. There's not a ton to see there but it's a nice place to watch the sunset over the Mekong. And we had some great Indian food for the first time since we were in Malaysia.

We took an overnight bus from Vientiane most of the way to the site of some ancient Khmer ruins that pre-date Ankor Wat. This bus was mighty uncomfortable. Think of two people on something narrower than a twin bed with a foot cut off the bottom. The funniest part was that people who bought a single ticket would be doubled up with another stranger. Not that they were strangers for long after that little spoon fest!

The ruins in Champasak are rather unspectacular after having been to Ankor Wat but
View from top of ArcheView from top of ArcheView from top of Arche

Look, no high rises anywhere!
they had some fine reliefs left in a structure on the top of a hill. Oh, and the museum was rather interesting. Oddly, there was an era when they would make Hindu images of the god Shiva combined with his wife Parvati. Half male and half female with a breast appearing on one side of the body. It represents the two sexes merged into oneness. Nice thought. They must not have had a 50% divorce rate back then.

Finally, we took a bus, ferry, and boat to an area near the Cambodian border called 4,000 islands or in localese, Si Phon Don. We had an amazing experience there. We were walking down a road with some new friends, a Dutch girl and a Japanese guy. Suzan said, "Look at the sun!" which seems like a really stupid thing to do but of course we did. Why stop now?! ;-) It was about noon and the sun was encircled by a 360 degree rainbow and the area in the center was a darker gray than the rest of the sky. We looked up about 20 minutes later and it was gone. What a strange and magnificent sight and how lucky we are to have seen it! I Googled it and the explanation was ice crystals in the atmosphere that reflect the light this way, even on a day when there's no rain. Would have been more fun if there were stories of aliens involved. Or Catholic explanations of it being Mary's halo are fun too.

P.S. In case you're wondering why I keep spelling it Lao instead of Laos, fret no more... We kept hearing people say Lao instead of Laos. Toby said he liked the sound of Lao better as it doesn't sound like lice or louse. After all, who wants to visit a country that sounds like body vermin? So we started calling it Lao. Then my mom happened to email us a blurb from Wickipedia that explained it all. Laoatians always called it Lao but the French added a silent "s" to the end of it and all of us English speakers keep pronouncing the "s." That's almost dumberer than the US changing the Filipines to Philippines. ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Giant red spotted geckoGiant red spotted gecko
Giant red spotted gecko

You see the little geckos all the time and everywhere. These large geckos are more shy and the only reason that you know they are there is the loud and then soft call they make, "Rhu Rha!"
Some of the steps to ChampasakSome of the steps to Champasak
Some of the steps to Champasak

Tree roots can do some interesting things.
Crocodile rockCrocodile rock
Crocodile rock

Near the Khmer style ruins in Champasak was this odd rock. Maybe they made rubber crocodiles for sale at Lao Land 900 years ago?
Gray haired Thai gymnastGray haired Thai gymnast
Gray haired Thai gymnast

This guy with gray hair and a beard asked us to take a picture of him and his wife. They're from Chiang Mai, Thailand and he apparently does yoga, Muay Thai or other athletics. He did this head stand and moved his legs up, down, behind and all around. His stomach looks like a 16 year old's!
Tubing Si Phon DonTubing Si Phon Don
Tubing Si Phon Don

Toby thought he got me looking at the camera. I guess a mistake can actually be an improvement. ;-)
Washin' the dogWashin' the dog
Washin' the dog

This family was washing, doing the laundry and might as well get the dog clean at the same time. Dog didn't seem to enjoy it that much though.
Toby dolphin spottingToby dolphin spotting
Toby dolphin spotting

We did manage to see dolphins but I didn't post any pics. All I caught digitally was a fin sticking out of the water.
360 degree rainbow around the sun360 degree rainbow around the sun
360 degree rainbow around the sun

Another one of those, "I can't believe I'm seeing this!" moments.


23rd April 2009

more cool stuff
Wow, interesting pics and stories. Glad you didn't get blinded looking at that bizarre rainbow!

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb