Laos, plus Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
January 4th 2006
Published: January 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, I am home in L.A. but haven't posted a last letter about what were some highlights of my trip, so am doing so now.

Beginning with Luang Prabang, Laos: Hurry, get here before it changes. It is magnificent. A UNESCO site, a perfect little village, authentic Laos, but with a slight bent for tourism. Only 4 long streets and alley ways in between, architecture French and traditional Lao, a town of Wats and monks everywhere. As we walked the streets we could see saffron-garbed monks, ages 8 - 80, going about their day, bathing, brushing teeth, young boys frolicking in the river, doing boy things. A highlight was a daily dawn parade of all the monks in the village walking the main street with their food baskets seeking alms from the devout and the not so devout with their cameras. Quite a memorable scene.

The art of Laos is their loom woven tapestries, plus wood work, silver work and paper making. Hand looms are everywhere, small shops, homes, etc. I wandered the streets to find one I could afford, as many were $100 plus. Here, as in Cambodia and Vietnam, the dollar was the currency of choice. The Laos seem to be a gentle people and still in a frozen time.

We took a boat trip on the Mekong to a small village, chickens and ducks running about, women weaving, children going to and from school, small homes of varying sizes, shapes and construction. Women wear long, traditional skirts, often with t-shirts. Markets are colorful with H'mong and other tribes. Food is great, rice, meat, pork, veggies, spicy. The night market is wonderful: farmers, small shops, "take out" dinners. We met an American woman running a restaurant, here with her Lao boyfriend!

We flew from here to Chiang Mai, which I had visited before. I developed a horrible cold, which kept me somewhat low-key, but participatory, especially for New Year's Eve, which was a terrific experience.

Through Tom's friend, Bill Warren, we were invited to a party of a Thai man, Tri, relative of the monarchy, a man about my age who was educated in the U.S. His home (well, one of them) was in Mae Rim, about half an hour outside Chiang Mai, on the grounds of Prem International School, which he started in honor of his friend, a prominent Thai general and patriot. The school is on many beautiful acres, for K - 12, with English as the primary language. We were in awe of the teak, traditional Thai home, the international invitees, the landscaping and the fact that we were there! We had drinks and hors d'oevres outside by a fire, moved to another site for dinner outside as well and ate from a buffet of lamb, paella, salad and ribs.

Bill filled us in about Tri who was sent to St. Albans School in D.C. at 9 years of age until 19 years of age, never seeing his parents in between. Apparently his father did the same. Following dinner was a highlight: Lanterns filled with hot air from an open fire were set off by each of us to bring good luck for the new year. These lanterns were at least 3 feet high, 2 feet wide and attached to firecrackers that went off after they rose up into the sky. There were 36 of them, so quite a spectacle!

Traveling home was long, Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Incheon, to LA., but business, then 1st class, which makes all the difference as you can sleep, prone and wake up without crampsl A long layover in Korea was spent in an airport "hotel room" for 6 hours of delicious sleep.

If you can still read and are interested, here are some summary thoughts:

# flights - 13
@ rooms - 15
Food - Most surprisingly good, Vietnamese; most disappointing was Chinese in Hong Kong

Boat rides: Hong Kong harbor; Red River in Sapa, Vietnam, Halong Bay in Vietnam; Perfume River in Hue, Vietnam; Mekong River in Luang Prabong

Best dinners: Emperor Restaurant, Hanoi; Belle E'poque, Vientiane, Laos

UNESCO Sites: Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, in Vietnam; Angkor Wat in Cambodia; Luang Prabang in Laos

Transportation: jets, prop planes, trains, boats, taxis, tuktuks; our feet

Best Pool: Sheraton Bangkok

Best Gym: Sheraton Bangkok

Best Scenes: Sapa trekking in H'mong villages; Monks in Luang Prabang ; Hong Kong Harbor from our Kowloon hotel;

Best spas: all of them, including, H.K. Sheraton, Sapa, Vietnam; Bangkok, Vientiane foot massage, Chiang Mai Thai massage

I thank you for reading my entries and being interest in this experience. Wishes to you all for a wonder New Year.

Love Donna

Advertisement



9th January 2006

Welcome Home
Really enjoyed your writing. Have saved the entries in hopes of visiting some of the places you've described. :-)
15th January 2006

Thanks, Mary
Thank you for reading my blog and being interested in my adventures. I was a fabulous trip with amazing experiences and should you ever plan a similar one I'd love to by a consultant. Happy New Year. Donna

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb