Vang Vieng and Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
July 8th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The "Vertical Runway"The "Vertical Runway"The "Vertical Runway"

It was given the name because the concrete was donated by the USA to build an airport, but less than a year later the communists took over and built this instead.
After leaving Luang Prabang, we continued south to Vang Vieng. We met a great group of Brits in Luang Prabang, and we all decided to travel together until we parted ways a week or so later. Vang Vieng is an interesting little town... There's not much to it, but it seems to double in size due to all the backpackers. The restaurants cater to this by doubling their food prices and showing the TV show "Friends" nonstop. The big attraction is tubing down the river right outside town. The locals have set up makeshift bars all along the way. As you float by someone throws you a bamboo stick to pull you into the bar. You then make your way up the muddy steps and are instantly handed a shot of whisky. Rope swings and drunken volleyball abound. It was definitely a fun experience, and yet sufficiently ridiculous to witness so many loud, drunk tourists crowding the small Lao town.

We left Vang Vieng after a couple days and headed to the capital of Laos, Vientiane. Veintiane was perfect; it's the largest city in Laos, but so small compared to the major cities I am used to. But it has
Stairway to Heaven?Stairway to Heaven?Stairway to Heaven?

Stairs to the top to view the city.
all the amenities one needs, and boasts a very comfortable relaxed aura. Admittedly, we were also very excited for the culinary aspects of the city. As I have mentioned previously, the French influence in Laos still lingers, and so upon arrival we had a delightful dinner of steak and pasta for a very minimal price.

Our next stop is Cambodia, but we need to go back through Thailand to get there. We're taking night bus to Bangkok tonight, and then we'll continue on to Poipet, Cambodia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Our British FriendsOur British Friends
Our British Friends

...and a random Japanese man who wanted to be in the photo because his friend was taking the picture.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb