Living La Vida Laotian


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
January 2nd 2007
Published: January 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sabaidee (hello) from Laos!

After many hugs and kisses from the parents and relo's in HCMC, my cousin Chaudie and I flew into Vientiane on the 29th December. And immediately felt chilled out. The food is so cheap and delicious here. We have done nothing but eat since we landed. Feeling very fat and content.

One night we had sukiyaki style steamboat by the Mekong riverside, followed by roadside banana pancakes. The next few days were a never-ending smorgasbord of delights such as laap, casseroles, duck noodle soup, pad thai, coconut sticky rice, and lots of fruit shakes.

In between taking in a few touristy sights (That Luang museum; Talaat Sao market; Wat Sisaket), we also had a relaxing Lao massage (similar to Thai).

New Years Eve was a few quiet vodka-lemonades and Beer Lao's (A1 brew) at a local bar. The Laotians were partying it up in the streets with a few roast pig haunches.

Happy New Year 2007! Spent the day travelling from Vientiane to Vang Vieng on local transport with about 23 people on board. It was both hilarious to see how many people we could fit in, and squashy at the same time. On the way did a nice kayak trip along the Nam Lik River.

What is there to say about Vang Vieng? Well not much. Personally we thought it was a vile little town whose only claims to fame were that it was located near some limestone caves, the surrounding countryside was quite nice, you can watch never-ending episodes of "Friends" in at least 5 restaurants in town, and it broke up the long journey between Vientiane and Luang Prabang.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Cool headCool head
Cool head

Is it a dragon or a serpent?
Tin can travelTin can travel
Tin can travel

The photo does not do justice to how cramped it was in the back. Only 12 people in view, but there was in fact 18 of us in total. Chaudie looks drugged out, but she's only rolling her eyes at the hilarity of it all.
Everybody out!Everybody out!
Everybody out!

The locals were thinking we FINALLY got rid of those huge Westerners.
Nam Lik River Nam Lik River
Nam Lik River

Lunch break in between kayaking
Vang Vieng Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng

View from our hotel balcony
Brekky viewBrekky view
Brekky view

Not bad eh?


Tot: 0.395s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 29; qc: 150; dbt: 0.1551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb