The Perils of JAmes Sunday


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
November 21st 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

I wrote a blog yesterday and all I did today was shop so's I've got nothing to write about except the Perils of JAmes Sunday. JAmes Is the Nigerian fellow who we met at our dodgy border crossing bedtween Cambodia and Laos. JAmes was almost charged ten dollars because he had a Nigerian passport. We travelled with him to Veintiane and shared some meals, over which he related the details of his current trip. JAmes has had it rough indeed. The first thing that happened to him was that hes was robbed in Veit Nam. He is a business man a travels frequently, but this is the first time he's had something like this happen. He went to into a coffee shop with a Veitnamese lady (a new friend he assured us) and drank some coffee. HE was drugged. WHen he came to he was light a digital camera and $2000.
HE came to Cambodia and was harrased at the border as related before. TOday in Loas he was trying to get a Thai Visa to catch a flight he already has booked out of Bangkok. He is now, obviously, interested in saving a bit of money. HE was refused a Visa and told to go back to Nigeria to get a Visa or book a flight from Laos to Bangkok and wait in the airport. To top it off he was charged $27 to use the internet for 12 minutes this afternoon. I've got to hand it to him... he keeps a smile on his face and his spirits high. IF it were me I'd be home by now. He's off to New Zealand after Bangkok so for anyone who reads this, please say a prayer or kill a goat or do whatever you do for JAmes' safe travels and good luck. He deserves it and needs it.

Advertisement



30th November 2006

Lessons learned through others
Those stories, among thousands of countless others, are pretty scary....and when they happen to others...they at least provide you and Jessica with important lessons with respect to your own safety. Trek on! Sharron

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb