The Wild West - Vang Vieng?


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
February 13th 2017
Published: February 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

So the guide book said that there used to be a problem here - adventure seekers, fuelled by alcohol and drugs, were drowning and breaking their necks jumping into the river when it was too shallow. However the Laos government had shut the bars down and it is now a family orientated adventure centre!!!! I think they may have missed a bar or 40. They still advertise tubing parties with a free bucket of whiskey! As night falls the bars along the river and throughout town start pumping out the rave music, only alleviated when the power fails (regularly). The quietest spot in town was the Irish bar. Decided against the kayaking, balloon rides, paramotoring (swooping over the town and power cables) and went for a cycle ride Instead.

Have to admire the scenery, the mountains are spectacular, but the town is like a Wild West frontier town, only here to service the tourists. It's dusty, full of rubbish, and I don't think any of us will be sad to leave. We are waiting for a public bus to take us 4 hours to the capital.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb