Vang Vieng and Tubing


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
June 18th 2009
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BAR #3BAR #3BAR #3

Tug of War (Boys against Girls)
What do you say about Vang Vieng? Only that Stephen Loved Vang Vieng and after the culture of Luang Prabang it was different to say the very least. Stephen can sum up Vang Vieng in four words- Vang Vieng is awesome! Job done!



Basically it is the drinking capital of Lao as far as we could tell. After arriving late in the afternoon, we decided to pop into a local pub for food & a quiet drink. We stayed in the same bar for three days. (Well, not literally but that’s how it seemed.) Every bar has televisions that just show Friends, family guy and Simpsons all day every day, after watching Asian television for weeks in languages that we do not understand it was very hard to leave these bars. We just sat there, drank and watched TV. These bar owners were geniuses, they must have made a fortune. So depending on what mood you're in, depicts where you drink, we spent one day in a one bar just watching friends and drinking. Talk about being lazy.

We managed to get out and about on our second day and decided to go tubing. And really
BAR #3BAR #3BAR #3

Tug of war - game over (Boys beat the girls)
in a nutshell you hop into an inflatable ring and the top of the town and float down the Mekong River stopping at various bars on the way home. These bars along the banks of the river all look for your custom so they throw you a rope and haul you in and every bar is competing against the next, so the promotions are great and the noise levels are serious. Every bar has free shots when you arrive off the water. As if that wasn't enough, we were drinking buckets (that’s right, Buckets) of mixed drinks. We joined up with two other couples that we met and decided to drink with them for the day. Also, each bar has a variety of rope swings, zip lines, mud wrestling pits and tug-o-war games; one bar just covered everyone in paint. We floated down river about 3/4 km before arriving back to solid ground later that evening. We capped off the day by meeting everyone again in an Aussie bar for dinner, where the drinks continued to flow and the games of pool got progressively worse.

The next day we were due to leave, but decided to just crash
BAR #3BAR #3BAR #3

Myself & Gemma
in another bar watching family guy for a few hours before heading in next door to watch a few hours of Simpsons. Wasn't our most productive day, but what are you going to do. Beer Lao is so good and when you want to you can just chill in Vang Vieng.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

BAR #3BAR #3
BAR #3

Ste doing the rope swing
BAR #3BAR #3
BAR #3

That dot beside the tree is ste finishing his rope swing.
BAR #4BAR #4
BAR #4

Our group
BAR #4BAR #4
BAR #4

Enough said
BAR #4BAR #4
BAR #4

Ste poses for the camera.... amoungst all the chaos!!!
BAR #4BAR #4
BAR #4

Mudd love
BAR #5BAR #5
BAR #5

Exhausted from the swings.... need another bucket!!!


20th June 2009

Hey guys looks like fookin quality craic! and ste i concur.............beer lao is the bees knees, the kit kat, the cats pyjamas and so on and so forth!
28th June 2009

Kop chi lie lie
I just remembered how to say thank you in Lao.....if you say it just right it sounds like a Simon and Garfunkle song. Anyhow, are you guys going to make it to 4000 Islands? You should try, it is wonderful down there!!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb