Gap Indochina Emcompassed trip


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Pakbeng
March 23rd 2010
Published: March 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Started my Gap Indochina trip on March 15th.
Our joining hotel was closed to the Independent Monument and that was where the Thai Red Shirt protest centre in Bangkok. Did not have any trouble getting around town. We did do a long tailed boat ride around the Chao Pattaya canal seeing the local lived on the canal. Some beautiful houses and some shacky wooden houses dotted the canal. They have a water taxi that will take the people living along the Canal to and from work.
We went on to Chianmai on the 17th via sleeper Train. Left Bangkok at 6pm and did not get to ChianMai till 10am due to some delayed along the way.
The sleeping quarter was ok though with the roacking motion of the train, most of us could not sleep. A bit concern about theft of belonging so we all kept our valuables next to us. The bigger backpack were stored under the bunkbed. Met two Laotiane who worked on the Train. According to them, they sleep on board the train when it got to ChianMai and then return to Bangkok. The delay in our arrival may give them less time to rest. The Train washroom is quite basic with the typical step-on platform and you need to flush it afterward with a hose beside it. They had sink outside for you to do your washing but it was open so there was no privacy.
In ChianMai we joined the elephant ride tour which was interesting. I was a bit scary when going down the steeper slop.Our elephant Mahout was gentle with the elephant though other people in our group had other experience that was not too pleasant. It was hot Hot hot in Chianmai and there were draught every where. People were complaining about the lack of rain and the low water level on the Mekong River and blaming the Chinese Dam upstream which they said reduce the water level down the stream.
On day 3 of our trip we traveled to Chian Khong, a small town at the Thai Lao boarder. The facility was basic here but good scenery by the Mekong River. Initially we were supposed to be traveled by the Mekong River but due to the low level of water, we had to take the road to ParkBeng in Laos. The road was part paced with loads of twist and turn, some very sharp narrow turn.
We stopped on the way to visit some hilltribe villages. Because they were recently moved down from the mountain, relocation by the Lao Government for better services along the new road that was aided with German government money from 2002-2006. Young kids were quite exited to see us esp. one of our Scottish girl with Red hair.


Additional photos below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Marco PoloMarco Polo
Marco Polo

at the Wat Po in Bangkok I think this is part of the ship cargo that Siam used to keep the weight on their ship after returning from China.
Royal stupa made of broken ceremic pieces from ChinaRoyal stupa made of broken ceremic pieces from China
Royal stupa made of broken ceremic pieces from China

Wat Po has about 8 of these Stupa that are used for keeping Ashes of Royal family members or now if you can donate money to the temple
ferry boat to cross the Mekong riverferry boat to cross the Mekong river
ferry boat to cross the Mekong river

These are the boats that we use to transport ourselves and our backpages across the Mekong River to Laos
A bit scary ride across the riverA bit scary ride across the river
A bit scary ride across the river

My Gap groups. No life jacket as you can see and for non swimmer like me, it is quite nerve wrecking
Laos immigration boarderLaos immigration boarder
Laos immigration boarder

Steps to get up to the immigration office Had to carry your own staff up the hill
Smog from Hilltribe burning the BushesSmog from Hilltribe burning the Bushes
Smog from Hilltribe burning the Bushes

A big problem in Thailand and Laos. The Hilltribes just burn all the bushes and tree when they need to clean the land for farming. It creates such a smog that you could not see the sky cleary. It is worse than Toronto's pollution
Village Morning Market Village Morning Market
Village Morning Market

At ParkBeng, Laos


12th April 2010

Thailand-floating market
Hi Lilan, Your photos are amazing-quite shocked about the male strippers though! I would of loved to have joined you on that canal boat-such an selection of exotic fruits. Very informative, interesting- everything so far. Again this is certainly the best way to capture your trip and to generously share with others. Love Candi and the boys.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb