Nong Khiaw


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Nong Khiaw
January 19th 2013
Published: January 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

5.45am and my whiskey head is pounding! Who's idea was this to get up?!! We head out to meet the others, 5 minutes later they have not arrived so back to bed I go, think they're doing what I should have done.... Stayed in bed!

Anyway we have to be up earlyish to get the bus to Hong Khiaw.

By 7.30 we are all sat having a breakfast all looking as bad as each other, a nice 4 hour bus journey to look forward to.

Well I thought it was a bus anyway, when we arrive at the bus station there are vans with open backs with benches in, that was the local bus!

You can't complain for 40,000 kip though and its nice to talk to the locals. Its pretty much cram as many in as possible, the roofs are piled high with packages. Setting off at 11 the journey not as bad as expected and it helped by the scenery, this country is so beautiful, rainforest covered mountains with the Mekon river winding its way in between, the local villages dotted along the road side.

We arrive in Nong Khiaw around 3, its alot less touristy that Luang Probang thankfully hopefully get to feel abit the real Laos life.

Heading straight to get a room for the night, we manage to bag ourself a bargain for 40,000kip that's like £3! And it has hot shower!

Dropping the bags we head off to explore and get some grub, a yummy Laos curry later and were all happy bunnies... Check out the picture from the bridge and you'll see what I mean by beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb