Bangkok to Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
February 18th 2017
Published: February 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we are off to Laos. Our tour met in the lobby and we left the hotel about 7:15am and headed to the Bangkok airport. The Bangkok airport is a massive airport, apparently a plane lands on average every five minutes 24/7. After everyone received their boarding passes Drury and I saw a Post Office and decided to mail a package home that was filled with things we had bought the past few days in Thailand. Our tour guide helped us and what we thought would only take a few minutes wound up taking over a half hour. Our tour guide started to get nervous as we till had to go through security as well as immigration. Immigration line was very long and the rest of the tour was already waiting at the gate. After Drury and I made it to the gate they were already starting to board. We had to take a small bus to the plane as we were flying on Laos Airlines and flying in a small prop plane. The flight was not crowded and everyone had two seats to themselves which made the flight very comfortable. It was actually a very smooth flight to Laos.

On arriving in Laos the first thing we noticed is that it is the complete opposite from Bangkok. Luang Prabang, Laos is a very small and quiet town. We had to walk across the tarmac and then to immigration and since the airport only has two gates it did not take long at all. We met our guide for Laos named Lou and then boarded a bus into town. On the outskirts of town we had to board a tuk tuk that holds six people. These tuk tuks are uncomfortable but since they don't allow buses in the city this is the only way to get around.

We had a nice lunch at a local restaurant and then it was off to our hotel where we had an hour before our walking tour of the town. We walked through the town visiting temples and the local market area. The guide gave us over an hour to explore so of course Drury, Margo, and I found a quiet massage place and we all received foot massages. It was amazingly quiet and peaceful as we were outdoors getting a massage but all we could here was the wind and birds. There was no traffic noise or people talking loud. It was a great massage.

We met everyone for dinner, which as always was delicious and then it was an early night as we have to get up tomorrow at 5:00am to give alms to the monks.

The internet in Laos is extremely slow. It takes about five minutes to upload one photo so be patient as I try to upload everything we are doing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our in flight mealOur in flight meal
Our in flight meal

Consisting of an orange juice box, chicken sandwich, and carrot cake.
Our Hotel ShowerOur Hotel Shower
Our Hotel Shower

Water pressure is so low here you kind of have to run around to rinse off
Streets of Luang PrabangStreets of Luang Prabang
Streets of Luang Prabang

A lot of buildings were built by the french around 1960


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb