Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
November 9th 2015
Published: November 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So we arrived in Luang Prabang early in the morning, wrecked as anything. The bus station is a while outta town so we all climbed onto a songtheuw, cost us 20,000 each but it was either that or walk as there was no bartering to be done! We met a guy from Aregentina who gave us wanderlust to travel in South America and Nepal ? The first thing we noticed when we got to the center was the amount of street vendors selling baskets of food at 5am and there were loads of plastic chairs all lined up like a massive assembly line along both sides of the road! This was a very commercialized alms for monks town! I love the idea of the alms, of giving and good karma but I wasn't in favor of how the street vendors seemed only interested in making a quick buck and how some tourists were disrespectful only interested in capturing a selfie with a monk! When morning light arrived, we seen how charming this town looks, it's a UNESCO town and you can see why. The architecture is lovely, very traditional Lao but what spoiled it for us was just how touristic it was, every person we met was offering us a trip to the waterfall! For accommodation, it's best to sort it when you arrive as it is actually twice the price on booking.com ? The night market is huge but you really need to barter, there are many authentic items for sale and lots of food. There's a stall with all you can eat for 10,000 kip, including rice,noodles,pasta and many fritters. It's all veggie so Phil was too impressed but it was all good as he got bbq meat on a stick after ?? They charge you for everything here from climbing a hill to walking over a bamboo bridge! Speaking of money, ensure you have enough on you as the ATMs often don't work due to lack of money or network errors! You can get money from the exchange stands with you card but it will cost you a pretty penny! So, after hearing so much about the waterfall, we couldn't not go! We organized it with our hotel, got a mini bus there and back for 40,00 kip, if you want a cheaper option, you can rent a moped ? but the road ain't the best so take your time and breathe! Well the waterfall was beyond fab, we payed 20,00 kip in but there is a bear sanctuary there too. The Bears were all chilling on their hammock in their vast enclosure, they were rescued from poachers and it was truly lovely to see them so happy. Next we went to the waterfall, where we swam in its blue waters, admired it's beauty from a bridge and trekked to the top of it. The trek was a bit dodgy in parts with missing steps on wooden stairs, poles loose that crossed the water and sloppy but the views were stunning ?



Next we are moving onto northern Laos



Spudstobananapancakes xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



12th November 2015

different cultures
Eh. It all sounds so amazing and different. Enjoying the experience anyhow. Weather brutal here.

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb