Final Full Day in Luang Prabang... feeding the monks or the local tourism vendors?


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
January 10th 2013
Published: February 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Started the day feeding the munks... an interesting experience, but now so commercialised I'd never do it again. The morning started by getting ripped off by a street vendor selling rice balls and plastic wrapped crackers (Agreed once price, she acted dumb and demanded more... in the grand scheme of things it was $1 and it was pitch black 4:30am in the morning so let it go, but started the day off bad). The monks in orange start making their way through town and eventually got to my mat. I got through my rations after about 10 minutes and watched for another 10 or so. I noted that eventually the monks, who I later learned wouldn't eat theplastic wrapped crackers, gave the wrapped crackers to poor looking street kids. Where did the street kids go... right back to people like the woman that sold me the crackers 1 1/2 hours ago. I felt cheated by what was supposed to be helping these monks who have very little.



I wandered the town checking out the highlights again and then hiked to the highest shrine in town to watch the sunset. AMAZING!



The next day saw me at the airport for the long flight back to Auckland


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb