Relaxation in Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
July 23rd 2011
Published: July 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

7 hours and a couple hundred kilometers from Vang Vieng lies the lazy town of Luang Prabang. To get here you need to cross winding mountain roads (not of the highest quality), pass grazing animals, and endure the rain. It was a long, packed journey with 11 people stuffed into a van. It was on this trip the "when in Laos" theme came true....a couple of times. When in Laos....never expect the first bus you board is actually your bus. We got onto 3 different buses (luggage made it to 4) before we were actually directed to the correct vehicle. 1 hour later. Buses dont leave on time, so try to not be in a hurry. When in Laos....watch porn in the van with a group of people to pass the time. Yes, you heard that correctly and I do have photos. Our van (myself with the Belgian boys and some other randoms) had a drop down tv, not unlike those on some airplanes between the driver and front passenger. As a quick joke, Dean told the entire van that we would be watching lots of porn on the journey to pass the time. Very surprisingly, he was not far off the truth. It only took 2 hours of driving before one of the passengers asked which DVDs the driver possessed. I was front and center so I had the pleasure of taking a look. As another quick joke, (because one of the DVDs that I could partially see looked like some people showing some skin) I said we would be watching some porn. I then grabbed the CD from above the driver's head and what do you know! It was some Japanese porn. 3 naked women on the cover. Half in shock and laughing, I asked who wants to watch some Japanese porn and a girl in the back piped up "Put it on!". For the next hour we had a group of people enjoying some hard core ass eating and I had the front and center seat. Then your mind starts to think.....the driver has porn on board for a reason. He must watch it. And what better place to watch it from that the middle seat up front, right were I was sitting. Grosss!!!!! Driver stains may be all over the seats. Thank god its leather and his dirtiness can be wiped up. It still gives me the
Noodle BuffetNoodle BuffetNoodle Buffet

10,000 kip ($1.25)
chills. Anyway, I can mark that activity off my list.

Luang Prabang. What a city. For me, I got to exlore straight off the bat for a little bit. 2 of the Belgians went to the hospital to treat infections caught in their feet from tubing. Neither could walk properly. 1, Bert, even flew out to Bangkok the following day to get better treatment.

We were down to 3 people. It was not too much of a go get 'em place. It was a sleepy town, with a bustling night market. The night market offers all sorts of paintings, weavings, jewelry, trinkits, and food. I went mostly for the food, but also decided that this might be a good place to buy some presents. In the food department, meats on sticks was the norm. Chicken , pork, sausage, fish, and varying types of these. It also offered pasta buffets for $1.25. Pack as much on your plate and get eating. I have been here 9 days, and a few visits to the night market have been completed.

The town inself is another World Hertiage City located next to the Mekong and Nam Khan Rivers. Riverfronts include many outdoor restuarants and guesthouses for sleeping. There are also massage shops everywhere. I was determined to finally get a massage, as I had planned many. I have never really had a proper massage that I paid for. So I wanted the first to be a relaxing oil massage like I have always pictured. I found an older sweet woman standing in front of her shop with a nice smile. She took me, gave me a towel and instructed me to change behind the curtain. That means get naked and put a towel around my waist right? Of course, I am getting a full body oil massage, so I should get naked. Mistake #1 I got naked to the bone. Mistake #2(the kicker) Never assume the lady with the sweet smile is going to be massaging you. Always, always, ask who is going to be massaging you! Of course, I got the 19 year old guy. Think he was gay? I will never know, but maybe after 15-20 years I will no longer care. So ya, time to get oiled up. It started off with a bang....no, not that kind of bang you dirty people. He had me roll onto my stomach and pulled up my towel to a charming, hairy, white ass right in his face. Lets just say his gasp wasnt quiet. I also got some chuckles from the girls giving massages nearby. I told him the ass shot was free, and anything more was going to cost him. For the next hour, he rubbed my body and kept moving the towel to make sure my twig and berries were not showing. I think it was as uncomfortable for him as it was for me, but he was very professional. To my disappointment, there was no happy ending. I think I left the parlor more tense than when I arrived. Lets just say, I have not gone back for anymore massages, especially when I woke up the next day with upper back pain.

One of the other activities of Luang Prabang is visiting temples. They are everywhere, and I think I have seen enough. 1 thing to note. Our governement operates its inefficiencies behind closed doors. Not here.

1 Person to give you a ticket and take your money, 1 person 10 feet away (who watched you pay for your ticket) to take your ticket, just in case you somehow snuck by that first person and 2 other people to stand around and watch. Somehow the "pay for entry" temples dont tend to look as nice as the free ones either. Where is my money going?

Other sites of interest are the waterfalls. Yes, beautiful waterfalls cascading down with some wonderful turquoise colors. Okay, I have seen waterfalls and I can mark this one off my list. There is more to do in Luang Prabang, and I probably would have done more, but I didnt. A few nights back I was playing "sand" volleyball. Lets call it hard dirt volleyball. I dove for a ball and in doing so, either dislocated or broke my right pinky toe. I came up hobbled and have been hobbled since. I expect to get an X-Ray in the capital before I leave the country . Lets hope for the best.

Needless to say, I can't really walk around or explore. I can ride my bike, but I have taken more days now. I plowed through 2 books and I am on my third. One day I was also kept at bay from contractions. Yes, I know what its like to feel pregnant. Every 20-30 minutes, doubled over in stomach pain. I think it was the pork spring rolls from the lady next door that caused it. I got through it though and have just continued to relax. If there is a town to do nothing, than this is it. I found a good book shop that serves coffee American style. Tomorrow morning I am off to the capital, Vientiane. Only 1 week left before I am back in California. At which time I will get you all some pictures to feast on.

This country has truly been special although I have not seen much. I would like to see more, and this is one country I should venture back to. Great food, people and exciting places to go.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Temple StatueTemple Statue
Temple Statue

Too many temples, unless you love temples.


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb