Giving of the Alms


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
January 22nd 2011
Published: March 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

I was up before dawn today to see the giving of the alms. It's done daily and it's how monks get their food for the day. Colin had said to be out the door by 6am, but since there was no sign of life, we went up to the main street to see if anything was happening there. Lots of people were lining the streets (mostly tourists), all waiting with rice and bananas and treats wrapped in banana leaves. Vendors walked around selling more food to the tourists to give to the monks, no doubt at inflated prices.

After scouting a few locations we settled on one a block off the main road. The monks came, accepted, and then shared with the begging children at the end of the line. After about forty-five minutes it was over and the children had quite a bit of food. Since they kept hiding their boxes and bags, I suspect it's to feed their families. It reminds me of giving food to my church to give to the food shelf, except that it's more direct and nothing is in cans.

I loved watching the monks streaming by in their orange robes. The bright color contrast with the grey mist of the morning. It made me feel warm in the cool air.

Sally and ate breakfast at our new usual spot, noting how we could still see our breath in the foggy air.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb