LAOS-LUANG PRABANG-10-0504 THRU 0507


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
May 1st 2010
Published: May 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Photo 22Photo 22Photo 22

ON THE ROAD TO LUANG PRABANG...
LAOS- LUANG PRABANG...
The seven hours drive from Xieng Khouang thru the beautiful peaks of the Annamite or Phou Luang mountain range to Luang Prabang (LP) was entertaining to say the least...I shared the VIP van with four more back packers and listened to their very adventurous stories and experiences...The trip was very windy and curvy. So we were all quite oozy by the time we arrived in LP...
Luang Prabang is a beautiful historical city with an amazing collection of temples and colonial buildings, an architectural paradise. The city is well situated between the hills and the mighty Mekong river.
The first day I used the hotel bike to tour around the city and visit all its attractions. The weather was unbearably hot, but I stuck it out...
The handicraft in LP is just beautiful. I say you come with an empty suitcase and have at it. The silverwear, to the textile, to the needlework, from the adjacent villages and the ethnic groups are a delight...
The second day I hired a tuk tuk for a day to take me to the Phou Caves and the Kong Si waterfalls...
It took the tuk tuk and a motor boat across the
Photo 24Photo 24Photo 24

A STREET IN LP...
Mekong to get to the caves, you then have to climb about 400 steps to get to the upper shrines, which as I was climibing in the scorching heat, was hoping to be worth the effort...I tell you ladies and gentlemen, we are in an age of easy religion. Our forebearers truly and deeply worked and sweated hard for spiritual enlightenment...It was hard work to climb up the rock on uneven steps, again in the scorching heat, to pray and meditate...When I eventually got to the top, It took about say ten minutes to stabilize my body temperature and ask the gate keeper to give me a torch light to go thru the dark cave where it houses a Stupa, hundreds of Bhudda images and statues, wall paintings, and a beautiful carved out of the rock guardian lion...The cultures and traditions of the Mekong are interesting...The approach to the limestone rock and the caves crossing the river is quite spectacular...One feels taken back in time...
After the caves we drove about a couple of hours with the tuk tuk drivers family to the Kong Si waterfalls. The waters were cool and I got to dip my feet in them for
Photo 26Photo 26Photo 26

FROM THE MEKONG RIVER TO WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
one hour and go over the experience of my day...The tuk tuk driver and his family enjoyed a swim in the lower ponds and picnicked in the banks...
On our way out there were large group of saffron approned monks with their picnic baskets who were on their way to the waterfalls, I suppose to cool down...
Later...
M


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Photo 27Photo 27
Photo 27

FROM THA BANKS OF THE MEKONG UP THE STAIRS TO THE WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 28Photo 28
Photo 28

THE GUARDIAN LIONS OF WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 29Photo 29
Photo 29

WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE) A THYPICAL LUANGPRABANG TEMPLE AND COMPLEX WITH LOW SLOPPING ROOFS...
Photo 31Photo 31
Photo 31

THE TREE OF LIFE IN MOSAIC WORK...
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

TYPICAL GOLD STENCIL WORK AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

LA CHAPPELE ROUGE AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

EVERY DAY LIFE IN MOSAIC DEPICTED ON ONE OF THE CHAPELS IN WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

A MOSAIC STUPA IN WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 21Photo 21
Photo 21

AN EXAMPLE OF GOLD BAS RELIEF ON DOORWAYS AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 30Photo 30
Photo 30

BOAT SHED AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

THE ROYAL BURIAL BARGE AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 2Photo 2
Photo 2

BHUDDA IMAGES AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

THE BEAUTIFUL RECLINING BHUDDA IN THE CHAPPELE ROUGE AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...
Photo 20Photo 20
Photo 20

BHUDDA IMAGE IN THE CHAPPELE ROUGE AT WAT XIENG THONG (TEMPLE)...


Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb