Lao, Land of hill and rivers.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
January 25th 2010
Published: January 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Face of the MekongFace of the MekongFace of the Mekong

There were thousands of Buddhas in this limestone cave.
We've been in Lao for about five days now and it is the most friendly county you could imagine. With it's French influenced architecture and food, this charming country is a treat for the eyes and the stomach.

After the cruise down the Mekong we stopped in Luang Prabang. From here we did several side trips, the best of which was the elephant riding and zip-line. Not at the same time though.

The other highlight was the procession of the monks collecting alms at 6am in the morning. I know most of you are thinking Leslie and 6am rarely get used in the same sentence. It was worth the pain.

Tomorrow we're off to Vientaine and our flight to Vietnam.

More later.

Lesley and Leslie


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Limestone Falls near Luang Prabang.Limestone Falls near Luang Prabang.
Limestone Falls near Luang Prabang.

These falls are also user friendly as swimming pools.
Lesley's Hmong friend.Lesley's Hmong friend.
Lesley's Hmong friend.

This lovely lady does intricate hand embroidery in a local market. She's holding some of Lesley's purchases.
Zip lining through the jungle.Zip lining through the jungle.
Zip lining through the jungle.

Leslie gracefully gliding through the canopy. NOT.
Lesley petting an elephant.Lesley petting an elephant.
Lesley petting an elephant.

They were so gentle that you could go right up to them and pet them and feed them bananas.
Elephant ride.Elephant ride.
Elephant ride.

We took a ride on the elephants. part of which was along the river.
Three JumbosThree Jumbos
Three Jumbos

This gentle giant was actually blind. She was a working elephant and was brought to this sanctuary for her retirement.
Mahout HendyMahout Hendy
Mahout Hendy

Leslie got a turn at driving.
Catching some zzzzzz's.Catching some zzzzzz's.
Catching some zzzzzz's.

Riding elephants can really take it out of you.
Procession of the Monks at dawn.Procession of the Monks at dawn.
Procession of the Monks at dawn.

There were hundreds of monks collecting their daily food. This happens every day and it's the way that the people support the monks.
Many, many monks.Many, many monks.
Many, many monks.

Morning call to alms.


25th January 2010

thanks
thank you
25th January 2010

Bruce
Les do they have any cold beers there ?
25th January 2010

Looks like another amazing trip. Everything is so vibrant. Look forward to hearing and seeing more. Travel safe. Kevin
25th January 2010

Love the blog
Love the pictures and descriptions! Looks like you guys are having a fantastic time! Miss ya!
28th January 2010

hey
looks like you're both having a great time - we're envious . . . have fun the rest of the way and be careful

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb