More fun and games in Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
February 19th 2006
Published: March 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

a truck stocked up with our favourite beer - Beer Laoa truck stocked up with our favourite beer - Beer Laoa truck stocked up with our favourite beer - Beer Lao

and at around 50p a bottle, its great!
Sunday 19th February
After another nice breakfast on the veranda of our tropical retreat, we left Luang Prabang in our mini fleet of jumbo's and heading off towards the forests for a guided trek to the Khong Sii waterfalls. the weather is still pretty hot and muggy, around 25-30 degrees but not too bad.

we head into a small Hmong minority village and have a wander around, getting to see traditional ways of life, with chickens and dogs running around, and sad to see, plenty of litter everywhere. still people seem pretty happy and the kids are happy to see strange looking westerners.

after our village visit we do a sweaty 4 hour hike through the forests before reaching the Khong Sii waterfalls in the afternoon. agreeing that its far too hot too let the oppurtunity pass, half of our group decide to jump into the waterfall pool to cool off. its pretty cold but a really good way to cool off. the falls are pretty spectacular and not too busy.

after an entertaining ride back to luang prabang along appallingly bad dusty roads we clean up then head into town to catch the amazing sunset over the mekong river from the That Chomsi temple. It was really packed at the top of the hill and it was a steep, sweaty climb but the views were worth it.

Our little group of people then head back to our guesthouse where we are treated to a fantastic BBQ and far too much of the local spirit... Lao Lao, a rice-based spirit which is distilled anywhere and everywhere and often dispensed into empty medicine bottles or mineral water bottles.... classy.

After drinking games and eating too much food and drinking too much Lao Lao, stumble off to bed for a 5.30am wake up to watch local monks receive 'alms' - where local people donate gifts of food.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb