Laos...


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Vientiane at least has a good internet connection 😉

So here are some pictures of our trip through the north of lao.

We started in Phonsavan (Xiengkhouan Procince). Well known for the plain of jars, which are interesting but not that exciting (from our point of view). Ohonsavan is a bit touristic but not too much. The surrounding landscape is very nice.

Then we went to Luang Prabang which is on the mekong river. Well known for its Temples.

From there we went on by bus north to Muang Ngoi. This small village can only be reached by boat and is surrounded by a really nice landscape and carst mountains.

After spending two days there we bought a small boat toghether with two other people for some 50 euro and started paddling down the nam ou.

In the late afternoon on day two we slightly hit a more or less unvisible rock at a rapid. Thus our boat had to be repaired. Some very helpful local people offered us to repair it and that we could stay at their place. This was very nice and all the people in the village were very excited about the "falang" (=foreigners) that had arrived in their village, which seems to happen quite rarely. The served some food for us and - of course - also some rice whiskey (so that wasn't really different from austrian manners 😉

On day four we sold the boat in the morning. Then we were invited by a young guy to come to visit his village. He was a student and going to be teacher in his village, so we visited the school and he asked us to teach an english lesson for the pupils. These were very excited about the fact, that a real "falang" was there in front of the blackboard talking english to them.

We were staying in the house of the young guy's parents over night and visited school ince again the next morning in order to meet also other teachers and the director which were all very pleased by our visit.

In the afternoon we went back to Luang Prabang per Songthaew and on the following morning further to Vang Vieng. It is a really very touristic place, but it has a nice landscape.

On 28th we went to Vientiane, which was not relly exciting for us. On 29th we crossed the boarder to thailand in order to catch the overnight train to bangkok.

Greets


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Muang NgoiMuang Ngoi
Muang Ngoi

... a nice small city in the northern of Laos that can only be reached by boat. Electricity only from 6pm to 10pm.
the organ pipe massive (vang vieng)the organ pipe massive (vang vieng)
the organ pipe massive (vang vieng)

by the way: vang vieng village is horribly touristic...


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb