Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
August 20th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to do our own walking tour of the city as its not very big. The walk included all of the important sights and the bigger temples of the city.




We hadnt been out long when it started to rain, very hard. We sheltered for a few minutes thinking it was going to pass but it soon became pretty clear it wasnt. Dom had his coat so he put that on but i didnt have anything. We decided to carry on as we handt got that much to see before we had planned to break for lunch and although it was raining very hard it was still warm so it didnt matter too much. Water was pouring down the sides of the roads and pretty soon we were wet through, several young Monks passed us with their umbrellas smirking at us because we looked like drowned rats. As we appraoched our guest house the owner had seen us, he rushed in to get out key for us and also handed us 2 umbrellas to borrow.





We changed into dry clothes and headed out to complete the walking tour in the afternoon. Luckily the rain eased and finally the sunshine broke through and it ended up as a really hot afternoon. We walked along the Mekong river which is absolutely huge!








The walk finished at Phou Si Hill which was about 300 steps up, not easy on a very hot afternoon, dom was pretty swaety and looked like he was going to pass out! The view at the top was pretty spectacular. You could see the airport and we watched a plane come into land. In the evening we had a Lao massage. It was very different to the Thia one and focused instead on pressure points. I found it quite painful, particularly on my calfs as they were still tender from the trekking!






We ate dinner in another nice restauant close to the river.












Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Night MarketThe Night Market
The Night Market

Apologies for the quality of this image, just wanted to capture the lighting


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb